UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2018, 10:55 am   #1
bobsterkent
Hexode

Default Reddish Lane, Manchester archive photo

Found this picture from the Manchester City Archives that are being loaded on to Flickr, lots of brilliant street scenes, but this is the first shot that I think relates to this forum.

https://www.***********/photos/manche...57684413651581
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reddish lane tv shop.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	154983  
Old 4th Jan 2018, 11:25 am   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Reddish Lane, Manchester archive photo

Now used by an estate agent:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.45...7i13312!8i6656

The church has morphed into an ASDA...Holy mackerel Batman...

Lawrence.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 11:34 am   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I look at the photo and think “ it’s not long ago, only 1960” but doesn’t it look old fashioned. That’s put another few years on me.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 11:43 am   #4
Tractionist
Heptode

Smile Re: Reddish Lane, Manchester archive photo

Stockport - as I remember it (cobbles, good pubs, gasometers, Portwood cooling towers ..... and Mersey Square viaduct)!
Old 4th Jan 2018, 12:37 pm   #5
nutteronthebus
Hexode

I lived on Claremont range round the corner from this the pub The Bulls Head turned into a DIY shop now a vax/dyson shop . The church is behind Asda
Old 4th Jan 2018, 1:07 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

The old church was demolished, ASDA etc replaced it, the new church was built further to the North.

Here's a much earlier view, you can see the row of buildings to the left which Shaw's RTS Ltd was in, the shop would have been in the near end (off picture) of that row:

http://www.manchesterpostcards.com/images/gorton21.jpg

Lawrence.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 7:06 pm   #7
line sync
Heptode

That's a lovely picture.
I love the sign " RADIO TELEVISION SERVICE " above the windows , it looks like it's neon.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 9:36 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Another interesting one from the archive, DER radio controlled mobile workshop.

https://www.***********/photos/manche...7684413651581/
Old 4th Jan 2018, 10:07 pm   #9
Wellington
Hexode

Question Re: Reddish Lane, Manchester archive photo

I wonder what the purpose of that metal balcony was in the first picture. It occurred to me that it might be for hoisting stuff up, but there's no door there - just a sash window. Very curious…

You can see the rusty remnants of the balcony in the up-to-date view in Lawrence's post (#2).
Old 4th Jan 2018, 11:36 pm   #10
1100 man
Octode

What a brilliant picture:- there are just so many things to look at! That sign writing must have cost the owner a packet but it would certainly have been a landmark!
The 'Radio Television Service' sign does look to be an illuminated one. However, immediately above it are two horizontal white bars separated by about 6". These can be followed round the building and look like they stand away from the wall face. They pass directly through the centre line of the round RTS sign and then round to the front of the building where there looks to be another RTS sign. Any idea what they might be? I wondered about neon tubes perhaps?
Anyway, looks a classy establishment which would have justified higher prices to the customer!!
The first thing I noticed about the scene was the almost complete absence of overhead wiring in the main street. Usually there would be a mass of power cables & phone lines plus utility poles to carry them all:- very strange!

Many thanks for posting such an interesting picture.
All the best
Nick
Old 9th Jan 2018, 2:06 pm   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I imagine the signwriter must have had a good contract - the special offers must have been regularly updated. Mind you, the Ultra Bermuda name was still being used up until the late Seventies with the dismal Thorn 9800 chassis.
Looks like some switchgear along the top of the signage so maybe the shop was a sight to behold at night! How dull the estate agent looks in comparison...
Old 9th Jan 2018, 2:29 pm   #12
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

A story from many years age with regard to that corner shop.

A friend of mine had a ladies hairdressers down that side road. He worked for a local crane hire and haulage firm, now gone.
The access to the upstairs flat was too tight for some of his furniture when he moved in so he borrowed a mobile crane from work one weekend, quite a large one.
He put the furniture through the upstairs sash window but a local policeman, watching the action riding past on his bike ran into one of the protruding jack legs. As there were no road cones or any other warnings, he was not happy.

My friend quickly finished up and set off to return the crane. But in his haste to leave he failed to fully retract the jib and whilst turning right out of the road, took out the side window and front corner of that shop.
Oops!
Old 31st Jan 2018, 5:41 pm   #13
Mikey66
Hexode

Here's another one from the Manchester City Council archive..

https://www.***********/photos/manche...s/27842172589/

Mike C
Old 31st Jan 2018, 7:21 pm   #14
mark_in_manc
Octode

Talking of Stockport, anyone remember a shop at the bottom of Hillgate near the brewery which sold acoustic gramophones and had racks and racks of 78s all round the walls? Still there 25 years ago, which was when I discovered it.
Old 31st Jan 2018, 7:48 pm   #15
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey66 View Post
Here's another one from the Manchester City Council archive.
I can't find Penfair Street on a map yet, entry in the London Gazette appears to suggest the top end of Grey Mare Lane/Ashton New Road, there's Penfair Close on a modern map in that location but nowt on the old maps so far for the former.

Lawrence.
Old 31st Jan 2018, 8:03 pm   #16
Mikey66
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
Talking of Stockport, anyone remember a shop at the bottom of Hillgate near the brewery which sold acoustic gramophones and had racks and racks of 78s all round the walls? Still there 25 years ago, which was when I discovered it.
I remember it Marc... I think it became a cafe

Mike C
Old 31st Jan 2018, 8:36 pm   #17
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Yes I remember it well, across the street from it was Electro Supplies where most of my electronic components came from when i was a kid. sadly both now gone, ES is still there or at least was last time i was in Stockport but it became an electronics tat and phone shop many years ago.
Old 31st Jan 2018, 9:09 pm   #18
ms660
Dekatron

Did a couple of years day release at Stockport Tech on Wellington Road, started not long after the Hopes Carr disaster.

I remember the murky Mersey well.

Lawrence.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 11:35 am   #19
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
I can't find Penfair Street on a map yet, entry in the London Gazette appears to suggest the top end of Grey Mare Lane/Ashton New Road, there's Penfair Close on a modern map in that location but nowt on the old maps so far for the former.
Had another look at that photo, the general direction of most of the TV antennas and the Manchester Airport road sign don't tally up with the photo being taken on Grey Mare Lane, I think it's Ashton New Road, next left after the Airport sign would be Grey Mare Lane which, heading South, finished at Ashton Old Road back then. Antennas would then be pointing in the general direction of the Winter Hill transmitter.

Still no Penfair Street on old maps yet.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 1st Feb 2018 at 11:44 am.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 4:34 pm   #20
ms660
Dekatron

A bit more detective work, I'm now fairly sure that the mystery Penfair Street shown in the photo of Baker's TV shop is shown on the old maps as James Street.....Baker's TV shop photo showing Penfair Street:

https://www.***********/photos/manche...n/photostream/

The opposite side of Penfair Street, still showing the same mini van as shown in the 1st photo, next to the Electricity Service shop is a bank, it's the Midland Bank.

Here's a full shot photo of the Midland Bank, the street along side it is Shaw Street:

Here's a cleaned up version of an old O.S map of that same area (see square 2a) Between Shaw Street and Grey Mare Lane is James Street, which has to be the mystery Penfair Street:

http://www.artus-familyhistory.com/M...%25201930.html

Interestingly not far South of James Street is another James Street (Square 3a next to Ashbury's Station)

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 1st Feb 2018 at 4:40 pm.
Closed Thread