UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Dec 2017, 4:33 pm   #1
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tracking weights

Hi. I've purchased a track weight scale. My Dansette Challenge 106 weighs in at 3. 8 grams. My Ferguson Studio 100 D with two twenty pence pieces taped to rear of tone arm weighs in at 3.42 grams. My Bush Midi Hi-Fi 9560 with same weighs 3.99 grams. They all play OK. I use the Bush to record to my vinyl albums to cassette tapes after fitting a new stylus to the Bush. I will then not play vinyl again on this machine. I will use the Ferguson for that as this as the lightest weight. The Mono albums I will also play on the Dansette as 3.8 grams is not too bad.
Hoddbod.
Old 30th Dec 2017, 4:41 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Tracking weights

They are all c.4 grms so that's fine, but is as as light as you can sensibly go on these types of players. Any lighter than this and these will just not perform well. I'd rather not think about those two 20p coins! When quoting tracking weights, you really need to advise the type of deck fitted, not the make of the record player per se.
Old 30th Dec 2017, 7:22 pm   #3
tracypaper
Octode

For tracking weights it's the cartridge that needs to be known to ascertain the exact weights to gain best sound, but 3 to 4 grammes is a good starting point.
Gaz.

Last edited by tracypaper; 30th Dec 2017 at 7:23 pm. Reason: Grammer
Old 30th Dec 2017, 7:35 pm   #4
paulsherwin

It isn't always best to use the lowest possible tracking weight. It depends on the arm, cartridge and stylus. If the weight is too low then the stylus will rattle around in the groove and cause wear.

I agree that 4g is a good place to start, but some older arms and carts need 4-8g or even more. If you really want to minimise wear you should be using a better deck and cart.
Closed Thread