UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2018, 9:07 pm   #1
Bookman
Hexode

Default Cleaning Old vinyl records

I guess I am not the first to consider a form of record liquid cleaning device as a possible remedy for those treasured vinyl records and wished in hindsight that he had put one down on his wedding present list.

Even more horrifying if not embarrassing my wife suggested I use non fragrance baby wipes which would actually seems to work. So my question is what product/process could leave one believing that no matter what else is pursued in a domestic environment one could not improve the LP?

Clearly, the question considers that surface damage would be omnipresent.
Old 1st Jan 2018, 9:14 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Cleaning Old vynyl records

there are literally dozens of threads about cleaning records.

Such as https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=126045
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=111358
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=498882

To name but a few

Cheers

Mike T
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 12:04 am   #3
Bookman
Hexode

Default Re: Cleaning Old vinyl records

Thanks Mike - most appreciated.
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 12:25 am   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

This has indeed been covered many times, but the essential point is that wet cleaning, suction dried, is the way to remove heavy contamination. I'd seek out a Keith Monks cleaning service.
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 12:01 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

I strongly echo Ted's recommendations here. I firstly toyed with the idea of spending £30 or so on one of the many wet bath machines. Then I contacted Keith Monks website and found the name of a local service provider. Basically the guy owned a KM machine and would clean records for a fee. The KM machine is, bar none, the best device on the planet for cleaning records. Cheap, wet bath ones are 'ok', but there's nothing like the precision and the suction effect of a KM machine - the dirt is actually sucked away, not 'hopefully' washed away. That's why the BBC have used them for years. Anyway, after I had my records KM'd the difference in sound was light and day, really.
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 11:21 pm   #6
Ekcoman
Heptode

Hand wash using luke warm water with small amount of washing up liquid, dry with clean cloth and play through with stylus a couple of times. Use dust bug to remove dust brought out of grooves. Works fine for me.
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 11:37 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have often cleaned both vinyl and shellac records using lukewarm water & diluted washing up liquid, Ekcoman. Works well for me, too!
Closed Thread