UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2017, 7:23 pm   #1
Hulkster
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye 1011/a

Anyone know anything about these record players? Can’t find much online!
Old 21st Dec 2017, 7:44 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pye 1011/a

Manufacturer's service information for the Pye 1011 is here :-

http://www.service-data.com/section.php/6459/1/1011

I don't know how different the /a version might be.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 7:56 pm   #3
Hulkster
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Colin, by the looks of it was manufactured some time in the 70’s.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 8:05 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, these were early (c.1966/7) transistor portables from Pye. The prototype in the Lab sounded good on just a 6.5" speaker. These will be almost as good as the comparable (transistor) Hackers and Dynatrons of the times and I would recommend them. The only difference between the 3 models are the Brand names and some styling accents.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 9:06 pm   #5
Hulkster
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info Edward very helpful. I’m now a little more swayed towards getting one. I quite like the simplicity of the design. Cheers
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 9:06 pm   #6
Hulkster
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Yes, these were early (c.1966/7) transistor portables from Pye. The prototype in the Lab sounded good on just a 6.5" speaker. These will be almost as good as the comparable (transistor) Hackers and Dynatrons of the times and I would recommend them. The only difference between the 3 models are the Brand names and some styling accents.
Well I managed to buy one. Can’t wait for it to arrive now! I just missed out on buying the accompanying amp, but I was determined to win the record player. I’ll let you know how it sounds.
Old 29th Dec 2017, 3:15 pm   #7
Hulkster
Retired Dormant Member

OK. It’s arrived and it’s in pretty good condition. Pics attached. It’s working quite well apart from when I turn it past 3/4 volume everything seems to die. Volume goes low and power starts to die but not completely. Has anyone got any idea what the problem could be? I guess it might be capacitor related. I have a multi meter but there is no uF setting on it so not sure how to test them properly. Luckily I have the service sheet which shows all the components so should be easy enough to get replacements ordered. Should I just replace all the capacitors as a matter of course? Any help would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64628E4E-655D-4E16-8637-7757C3D3CEE3.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	154619   Click image for larger version

Name:	256B86D7-34A4-4F00-9D7C-A5D2012BA934.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	154620   Click image for larger version

Name:	B32E305F-E593-4DD0-9B1D-4739EE123022.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	154621  
Old 29th Dec 2017, 4:30 pm   #8
Station X

Unless the set is suffering form mains hum, I'd leave the caps well alone.

The most likely problem with the volume control is that its track is dirty. Squirt some Servisol into it and work it from end stop to end stop several times.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Dec 2017, 8:02 pm   #9
Hulkster
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Graham, I’ll give that a go when i have the time to dismantle it. Meanwhile, I’ve been playing it constantly for the past two hours with medium volume without any major issues, however while there’s No mains hum during opperation the dual power/treble knob crackles when in use and treble also cuts in and out when adjusting? Once you stop moving it it stays constant and good. Also, the bass seems to have no effect until you turn it passed 3/4 could this also be a cleaning issue? At the moment I don’t have the guts to crank the volume right up to try and reproduce the symptoms of power loss I experienced before! A may have a go after the cleaning you sugested.
Old 29th Dec 2017, 8:06 pm   #10
Station X

Give all the pots and switches the Servisol treatment.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Dec 2017, 9:31 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I presume the "accompanying amp" will be an add on unit for stereo. It's a shame [for you hulkster] and generally, that the equipment was split in that way. I won't say more except that there must be some sort of output socket [one of those at the front?] to which a "non-original" amp could be connected re-creating the intended sound. I think Hacker had a similar player with an add on amp/speaker. I have a much larger [valve] record player, the excellent Ekco Octave 9. that is similar in concept. It's a bit rare and the "add on" part is even rarer ! I've got both but I did see an add on unit for sale once. It's possible that an original Pye one could turn up! I see that some technical info for both of the Pye items was on the auction site at the beginning of December!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 29th Dec 2017 at 9:42 pm.
Closed Thread