UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2021, 12:11 pm   #1
BigClick
Hexode

Default 7.5 volts into 6 volt coil

Push pull solenoid for a door bell was originally powered in the 1960s by 4x1.5 batteries (Size C).

Thinking of using a dc supply of 7.5 volts I have handy.

Is it worth dividing the voltage as it’s just the occasional “ding dong” during operation?
Old 9th Jan 2021, 1:15 pm   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: 7.5 volts into 6 volt coil

I would think a bell duty cycle would cope with 7.5 volts fine. If it uses the old fashioned bell wire it could well loose 1.5 volts on the way.

Peter
Old 9th Jan 2021, 1:35 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I wouldn't worry - as mentioned the duty-cycle is so low...

In the past I remember 'bell transformers' usually had several different voltage taps on the secondary - between 6 and 12 Volts. You generally selected the tap that gave the required loudness of ring/ding-dong/buzz rather than worrying about the precise voltage!
Old 9th Jan 2021, 1:44 pm   #4
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi it will be fine had a shop door bell 6v type ran for over 20 yrs on 9v just louder as the hammer hit that bit harder Mick
Old 9th Jan 2021, 1:49 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Stick a couple of 1N5404's in series if you're really worried about it!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Jan 2021, 4:04 pm   #6
The Philpott
Dekatron

....On a general note just worth bearing in mind that the cheaper unregulated type of DC wall-warts (if this indeed a wall wart) of 7.5v rating will be packing at least 11v off load- so it's max current rating should be compared to the current taken by the appliance it is intended to power.

Dave
Old 9th Jan 2021, 4:11 pm   #7
BigClick
Hexode

Thank you friends for your posts ����✅
Old 9th Jan 2021, 4:56 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

My Freidland bell transformer here is 8VAC, they aren't generally fussy about AC or DC either (unless its got a chip in it!)
Old 10th Jan 2021, 9:59 am   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

3 - 5 - or 8v I seem to remember the old bell transformers were.

Peter
Old 10th Jan 2021, 10:00 am   #10
BigClick
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
My freidland bell transformer here is 8VAC, they aren't generally fussy about ac or dc either (unless its got a chip in it!)
No chips here lol. I was going to replace the thing because it was corroded solid with the core / shaft in a right state. I used WD40 to release it and the shaft cleaned up really well. The metal frame for the coil basically split apart so I made a “C” bracket from a small shelf bracket

The return gong is a bit weak. I think this is because the original spring is corroded and doesn’t have the same elasticity it once had. I am thinking about making a new spring but it’s conical and I’m not sure how to start making one.
Old 10th Jan 2021, 2:54 pm   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

The latest CPC catalogue lists, as new items, inexpensive replacement conical springs for battery holders in two sizes (one size for AA and AAA, the other for C and D cells). Nickel-plated steel, about £1 and £2 respectively (plus VAT) for a pack of 10. They are called "spring contacts" in the catalogue.
Old 11th Jan 2021, 2:45 am   #12
majoconz
Heptode

In my last-house-but-one the Freidland ding-dong stopped working and the lamp in the bell-push was out too. Took me a while to find the transformer - it was behind the panel in the fusebox - and it had an open circuit primary. No label or anything on it so I replaced it with a small 240v-9v transformer - which heated up quite rapidly after only one ding and still the lamp in the bell-push was still out. But a light did come on in my head - ripping the top off the bell-push I saw that button was still pushed in. A judicious tap freed the button, a'dong' sounded and the light came on. Just shorting the wires with my screwdriver made the required noises but every press of the bell-push jammed the contacts closed - it looked like some heavy handed-insurance salesman had really leaned on the button and deformed the flat spring - a tweak with needle-nosed pliers fixed the problem. I fitted the transformer to the front of the fuse panel in a plastic see-through box with a 1amp fuse in the 240v side - much nicer than round the back with those three brass buss-bars.....
Old 11th Jan 2021, 11:41 am   #13
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I once called on a customer who had no bell push just two wires sticking out of the door frame, I connected them together and the bell rang, customer opened the door and let me in, never mentioned the 'bell push'

Peter
Old 26th Jan 2021, 2:54 pm   #14
broadgage
Nonode

As many others have said, the increased voltage should be fine. It is however a larger increase than it looks.
The four dry cells would be unlikely to exceed 5 volts under load. 7.5 volts is a 50% increase on this.
Still almost certainly fine in view of the short duty cycles.

My slight concern would be a stuck bell push or a short circuit in the wires thereto. That could energise the coil indefinatly at 150% of the rated voltage. Slight fire risk ? Remembering that the battery voltage is not only lower, but also of limited duration as the batteries would run down quickly.

It might be prudent to fit a small fuse, rated at a bit LESS than normal operating current. This fuse will withstand a brief overload during normal operation, but blow if the current be continued.
Closed Thread