UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2021, 8:54 pm   #1
Lukeydukey
Diode

Default Philips Radiogram FIF652A.

Hi Guys 🙌

Looking for some info on this Philips Radiogram I picked up yesterday. Turntable not connected - needs a bit of work I'd say. Havent dived into upcycling it yet. (Starting Monday)
Radio is working but only picking up 2-3 channels (BBC, RTE & another one in French)

I've searched everywhere for photos of this particular model as I'd really like to bring it back to life. The previous owner started as you can see - I'll definitely be sanding it back!

Any information or tips on how to even get started on the upcycle process would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210415_204424.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	231931   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210416_195832.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	231932   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210415_204434.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	231933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210415-121227_DoneDeal.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	231934   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210416_195841.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	231935  

Old 16th Apr 2021, 9:34 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Philips Radiogram FIF652A.

Radios with FIF prefixes were manufactured by Philips Electrical Ireland Limited in Dublin.

Some FIF units are listed on the Radio Museum website for example:-

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_fif_660a.html

You may have to search the picture on Radio Museum to find a similar British made unit. The circuit should be similar.

Info on the Interphone AF7800 here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=58055

Useful restoration info here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ion/index.html

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th Apr 2021, 10:49 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I have never seen an Irish made radio from this era with VHF. RTÉ only started broadcasting a VHF/FM service in 1966, right at the end of the valve era. I suppose listeners in border regions and as far south as Dublin could receive BBC VHF services from NI or Holme Moss with the right aerial setup. These transmitters would have been available from the late 50s.

I wonder if the model number is a coincidence, and this isn't actually a Philips Ireland model. The tuning scale isn't easy to read in the photo, but it looks as if it may be for the UK.
Old 16th Apr 2021, 11:37 pm   #4
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi LD,

Your radiogram looks rather like a slightly simpler version of the Philips 653A
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_653a.html

Peter
Old 17th Apr 2021, 9:38 am   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I only have a rough idea of what you mean by "upcycling" - do you mean you will strip out the internals and use the cabinet for some other purpose? However, if you intend to restore it back to being original, do be aware that the Autochanger is not complete and can never fully work as it is. And the mechanics on these are fiendishly difficult to repair. Please let us know your plans for this?
Old 17th Apr 2021, 5:01 pm   #6
peter_scott
Dekatron

I think the only part of the autochanger that is not visible is the long centre spindle which is swapable with the short spindle if you just want to use it as a single player. As I remember it there was a little Terry clip somewhere to the side of the deck where the out of use spindle was stored. The Philips crystal pick-up will no doubt be dead and unobtainable.

Peter.
Closed Thread