UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2020, 2:38 pm   #1
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Default EHT arcing & silicone grease types.

I've recently come to the end of my stock of silicone grease bought from Manor Supplies in West End Lane, London, It was Dow Corning silicone pate, blue silver and black tubes.

The original use was for dealing with tracking round EHT caps on TV tubes, it worked well and had other uses besides.

I've recently bought the Radiospares version, I've noticed that after a few days the silicone oil is separating from whatever is used to bind / thicken it, it then runs down making a real mess, I've never has this happen with the Dow Corning Pate. I've tried kneading the tube before dispensing, and it makes no difference.

Does anyone know if the formulation is different today to 30 odd years ago? Or if there are different types of silicone greases? Or if there is a way to prevent separation?

T
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 3:25 pm   #2
mark2collection
Hexode

Default Re: EHT arcing & silicone grease types.

Funnily enough, I've seen this with RS-own-brand heatsink compound too. Once it seperates, it goes hard. I put it down to me storing the tubes in a cold environment, not sure of the chemical process going on.

The stuff I have used for EHT caps on CRT's is still available from Farnell. Made by Servisol, the Farnell part number is:- 3821559

The tube I have is getting on for 15+ years, and still good.

Mark