UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2021, 9:33 am   #1
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Help with a BSR UA14

Hello everyone

I'm busy cleaning up a Ua14 (which I think is also known as the Monarch). I really thought I'd serviced everything but when the last record plays it doesn't turn itself off, so I've missed something but for the life of me I can't see what's meant to move to release the 'off' peg

I've looked everywhere and can't find a service manual for this model, would be good if anyone has a link.

So my questions are:
1) I assume it is meant to auto turn off when the overarm is down and the last record has played?
2) can anyone point me at the trigger(s) I must have missed whilst degreasing

Many thanks
Joe
Old 11th Aug 2021, 1:35 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with a BSR UA14

A very common problem due to insufficient platter torque to actuate the shut-off mech. Check the idler to inner-rim grip and the ease of spin on the platter. Be aware that "Monarch" was used on a whole range of BSR Autochangers, not just the UA14 version.
Old 11th Aug 2021, 9:00 pm   #3
tracypaper
Octode

Hi.
It depends how thorough you were when you say you serviced it. I myself strip the mech down to the Aluminium plate and then Autosol that to take away the oxidisation of the aluminium. Rebuild only lubricating where lube was originally, check springs have not been lost or stretched. I had the same problem many times, it's worth the hassle and can practically do one in my sleep now. Take pictures along the way to ensure correct re-build.
Hope this helps.
Gaz.
Old 12th Aug 2021, 8:10 am   #4
hayerjoe
Hexode

thanks fellas for the comments. To prove/disprove Edwards low torque theory I simply spun the platter with my hand, so plenty of oomph. Sadly still no auto-shut off, which left me with the inevitably more messy job that Gaz listed. Stripped it totally down, didn't find anything even remotely stuck, cleaned it anyway, put it all back together and it works now! thanks
Old 12th Aug 2021, 11:10 am   #5
tracypaper
Octode

Nice one Joe.
The parts in question that operate the Auto Shut Off are free from grease or any lubrication which is why they were not stuck, but over time they oxidise and grime up and this causes friction which is sufficient to cause none operation.
I now do this strip and clean/polish to every deck even if they are still working correctly, Saves on comebacks.
Gaz.
Closed Thread