UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 13th Jan 2018, 9:22 pm   #1
Beardyman
Triode

Default Good evening one and all.

Hello, I'm a new member to this forum & undertaking my first restoration of a valve radio, the ubiquitous Bush DAC90A. I've been in the electronics industry as a technician, engineer & manager from the mid 70's. I'm more used to multi-processor high end digital equipment than valves, but did have a weekend job many moons ago repairing Marshall guitar amplifiers! I've read through some of the very informative posts here about that particular radio & they've been most useful. My particular one had the RF bypass capacitor across the mains blown to bits which welded the mains switch contacts (not by me I might add!), something this old should never be connected to the mains without a thorough going over with a multimeter first & a Variac on standby! All the wax capacitors so far have measured nowhere near their stated value, all the resistors are at the top end of their tolerance as well. Apparently the radio was working before I bought it, how I have no idea! Enough of my mitherings, a good weekend to all.
Beardyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2018, 8:20 am   #2
Kevin Hoyland
Hexode

Default Re: Good evening one & all

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Kevin.
Kevin Hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2018, 2:17 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Good evening one & all

You couldn't have chosen a better location BM-packed with very knowledgeable and helpful people. As you say the Bush set is a pretty well known species, lots of threads but don't hesitate to seek advice/comment in the Radio section if in doubt

Dave W
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2018, 8:33 pm   #4
tealandsilver
Triode

Default Re: Good evening one and all.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I also have the Bush DAC90A to restore, although I'm starting with the AC31 and then AC11 first. As a matter of course I will replace all of the waxies and electrolytics. Remember that the DAC90A has an asbestos heat shield and to take sensible precautions with it, but I'm sure you know that already!
tealandsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2018, 8:36 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Also a "LIVE" chassis! Use an isolation transformer unless you are very careful.
Old 14th Jan 2018, 8:41 pm   #6
Lloyd 1985
Octode

Welcome to the forum!

I’m not sure the DAC90a does have the asbestos? I thought it was just the DAC90, the 90 has the dropper inside a tin box that is lined with the stuff, the 90A if I remember correctly has a smaller dropper mounted on a Paxolin panel.

Anyway, good luck with the restoration, these are good sets to start on, fairly straight forward, work well and most importantly, look great when polished up nicely!

Regards
Lloyd
Lloyd 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2018, 8:38 am   #7
McMurdo
Nonode

Hello!

Micro's and valves..sounds like a Marshall guitar amp to me!
Old 21st Jan 2018, 12:32 pm   #8
Beardyman
Triode

Many thanks for your welcome messages, its very much appreciated. I was just at a quiet moment in the restoration of the Bush on this very wet Sunday afternoon when I thought just how much effort went in to manufacturing these radios, all the joints are made in two stages, firstly a good mechanical joint then soldered to make the electrical joint. This is a time consuming action to do & is rarely seen these days except in military equipment. They are the Devil to undo that much I do know!
Beardyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2018, 3:58 pm   #9
Lloyd 1985
Octode

Yes, it must have taken quite some time! I've got quite used to undoing these joints, I have some fine nosed pliers that are good for picking out the wire whilst the solder is molten. I always fit the replacement components in the same way too. I have seen another way of replacing components that leaves the original joint undisturbed, the old component is cut out leaving a length of the original component lead behind, a small coil of tinned copper wire is made up with enough room for the old stub of wire and the new component lead, slid into place and is then filled with solder. I have seen them used in some Philips TV's and radio's where multiple components connect together, and they didn't have a tagstrip tag to spare (or the penny pinchers told them they couldn't have one!)

Regards,
Lloyd
Lloyd 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote