UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2018, 2:04 pm   #81
Nymrod121
Octode

Default Re: HP 4850 scanner: driver, Win_XP, 32-bit

Al, did you manage to get hold of the HP 4850 installation file/driver software package?
I have it on a DVD(-R) and will happily post to you if you'd care to PM me your address in the next half hour or so (I'll be going over to the Post Office around 15:30).
Best wishes
Guy
Old 8th Jan 2018, 3:35 pm   #82
Skywave
Dekatron

Arrow Re: HP 4850 scanner: driver, Win_XP, 32-bit

Quote:
Al, did you manage to get hold of the HP 4850 installation file/driver software package?
Yes, indeed I was able to so obtain, download and install it. And with its scanner, it is working fine: thank you.

Al.
Old 8th Jan 2018, 3:50 pm   #83
Dickie
Heptode

This thread has served its purpose then! How about closing it and then Al can open a new one on the importance (or not) of the PC specification to measured download throughput? (choosing words carefully!)

Richard, BVWS member
Old 8th Jan 2018, 4:06 pm   #84
Skywave
Dekatron

Mark - thank your your last post: I appreciate your continued 'input'.

You refer to 'latest figures', as in post #59: they are attached.

As for the legal & contractual references you have made, yes, thank you: I have read all those & am well aware of them and their various ramifications. √

Have I tested out my 'new' machine yet? In stand-alone mode, yes. But due to physical limitations of the room in which I sit and write this and with the many items in this room that are with me here, space is rather limited. That is one of the reasons for the aforesaid re-wire: to get that PC close to the (temporarily) re-located router and the router close to the ADSL filter, which will then be directly inserted into the BT NTE box. Plus, possibly loading up Win_7. But doing all that takes time! (Plus responding to member's comments here, for which "Thank you!"). Not only is it necessary to manufacture an extended RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable, and ditto for the 'phone / voice line, (a BT431 plug to a BT LJ non-master wall-mounted socket) but there is an assortment of non-hobby / non-electronic / PC activities that I am obliged to deal with too! [Must keep Lady Skywave happy! ]

Needless to say, when all of the above has been completed (domestic issues aside) and appropriate tests made, I shall return here with results. But please don't let me keep you up late in anxious anticipation!

Regards,
Al. / Jan. 8th. //
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCREEN_1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	155154   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCREEN_2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	155155  

Last edited by Skywave; 8th Jan 2018 at 4:18 pm.
Old 8th Jan 2018, 4:15 pm   #85
Skywave
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
This thread has served its purpose then! How about closing it . . . .
. . . . and opening a new one. I've no problem with that, but it doesn't cause me a problem to let things remain as they are.
All I would suggest (request?) is that if a clear demarcation line can be identified where the current sub-topic of this thread has significantly diverged from the thread's title, then all relevant posts to this current sub-topic are appropriately transferred to that new thread. As for a title of that new thread - that is a moderator's choice.

Al.
Old 8th Jan 2018, 4:59 pm   #86
mhennessy
Dekatron

Well, it's good to see that your line/sync speed is still spot-on. At this stage, we can categorically say that there is no problem with the modem section of your router, nor the phone line, nor the modem section of PlusNet's DSLAM. The problem(s) is/are either side of this

While I would find a way to test with the new PC ASAP - even if that meant setting the thing up temporarily in a hallway or running a long Cat5 cable between rooms, or something else similarly "messy" (it only takes 5 minutes to boot and run the test, after all), I'm resigned to the fact that we'll have to wait for you to perform the modifications to your installation.

So, after all that, checking the sync speed again is the first thing to do - hopefully that won't fall as a result of the changes (I'd be amazed if it did, but we must be methodical). Then we're all waiting to see how the new PC performs. The Windows 7 upgrade can take place after the test (actually, it'll be interesting to see if the OS change makes any difference). And, I genuinely don't know what to expect. It's exciting

Cheers,

Mark

PS: Lines 6 and 7 are the ones of interest - no need to make screengrabs if that makes it easier to quickly post the results.
Old 8th Jan 2018, 5:20 pm   #87
Skywave
Dekatron

O.K.: have now completed the new wiring arrangements, (temporarily: physical locations to be arranged). ADSL filter at NTE box; two cables from it: one to router, one to internal 'phones distribution box. Ran speed test (3 passes), at 16:45 hours on Jan. 8th., BT Wholesale, using existing PC: Win_XP + SP3 and P4. Results below:

D/L: 17, 27, 46.
U/L: 7, 6, 14.
Ping: 88, 41, 39.

All 'phones working O.K.

But, but, but . . . 'listen' to this . . . during all that, prior to the temporary disconnection of the 'phones here, I received a 'phone call from none other than Plusnet. It went something like this . . . .

"We are aware that you are having problems with your connection. We have investigated the cause and identified it to be due to congestion at your local exchange. BT are intending to install additional hardware so that contractual obligations can be met. You should get your contracted minimum speed on January 12th. We will 'phone you again to see if things are then O.K. with you at your end soon after."

That news had an impact on me analogous to Zeus welcoming Heracles as a god to Mount Olympus!
Well - what more can I say? (Yes, indeed: it takes quite a lot to render me speechless! )

Nevertheless, I will continue on my proposed course, viz. replacing the PC and possibly the OS, just to try to 'check all the variables' - and amend suchlike, if necessary and accordingly.

Edit: just looked at 'lines 6 and 7', as requested by Mark H.: they're attached . . .

Also ran the BTW test again:
D/L: 49, 45, 19.
U/L: 14, 13, 14
Ping: 41, 37, 35.

But must stop now: domestic matters call!

Al.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Latest.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	155164  

Last edited by Skywave; 8th Jan 2018 at 5:35 pm. Reason: Added recent D/L & U/L test results.
Old 8th Jan 2018, 5:58 pm   #88
mhennessy
Dekatron

That's very encouraging

To get throughput speeds in the 40s is also encouraging - without reviewing the whole thread again I think those are the highest numbers we've seen by quite some margin.
Old 8th Jan 2018, 9:54 pm   #89
Skywave
Dekatron

Post Re: HP 4850 scanner: driver, Win_XP, 32-bit

Reference my alternative wiring arrangement and 'new' PC. Just to re-cap:
NTE box + ADSL filter --- 0.5 m cable --- router --- cat 5 cable --- 'new' PC.

'New' PC: Win_XP + SP3; 4GB RAM; dual core proc.; 2.33 GHz.
Installed 'flash player' (required by BT speed test); anti-virus disabled.

Ran the BT speed test . . .

Results:
D/L: 21, 20, 19
U/L: 13, 13, 14
Ping: 26, 36, 30.

From interrogating the router, the data on 'lines 6 and 7' was same as previous, i.e. this PC: Win_XP; P4 @ 2.8 GHz; 2 GB RAM.

Following that test, put all cabling back to original arrangement with that P4 PC - and ran the speed test again. Results were very similar to the previous set-up as detailed above

Conclusion. Even allowing for the 'bottle-neck' in my local exchange at present, which, of course, affects both PCs, there appears to be no perceivable speed advantage in physically shortening cable runs in this room, nor switching to a faster PC.

But what happens when I replace the Win_XP HDD in that faster PC with one containing Win_7? Ah! That'll have to wait for a bit, since I've recently discovered that the HDD with that O/S on it is kaput. But I do have an OEM Win_7 install CD and a spare HD . . .

Don't g'way now . . . I'll be back . . . probably tomorrow . . .

TTFN,
Al.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 1:03 am   #90
mhennessy
Dekatron

Regarding comparing the old and not-so-old computers, having seen post #87 earlier this evening, we can see that there's no point comparing them until the exchange upgrades have been completed. As we have now seen speeds as high as 49 Mb/s on the old PC, thanks to what was clearly a temporary (and favourable) situation in the exchange, we now know that the present ~20 Mb/s is a limit that is coming from the exchange, not the P4 machine.

However, once the exchange upgrades have been completed, then a comparison between the two machines becomes rather more meaningful and interesting

From my experiments this evening, it seems that different speed checker websites place different demands on the CPU. So it's possible that on the older machines, you might get different results depending on which website you use. If so, that's an interesting fact in its own right, and something that I might investigate if I can find an old P4 machine at work to play with (our download speeds are very similar to what you'll ultimately end up with). This is all valuable research that will hopefully help others in future.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 3:33 am   #91
arjoll
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Just to re-cap:
NTE box + ADSL filter --- 0.5 m cable --- router --- cat 5 cable --- 'new' PC.
You shouldn't have an ADSL filter - you are on a VDSL connection.

Does the UK allow self-installs for VDSL? They are not the norm here - a standard Chorus VDSL install is a VDSL splitter before the first jack (master if an old three wire system, or the first two wire jack - I think roughly the equivalent of your NTE stuff), and VDSL is provisioned on a separate connector. They also use 8P8C connectors for all VDSL installs, unlike ADSL where a BT jack is the norm. I've attached a pic from an old Geekzone forum, it's the only one I could find of a typical install although it's more common to have the UK-style square BT jack for voice.... and that user should have disconnected the old filter.

Of course here those are gradually being replaced by a fibre ONT
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vdsl.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	155188  
Old 9th Jan 2018, 8:52 am   #92
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Self install of FTTC (VDSL) is allowed and the use of micro filters, I don’t know if the micro filters for FTTC are the same as the ADSL2 filters.

Originally OpenReach would do the installation and install a dual faceplate on the termination of their copper cable, to reduce the initial cost to the subscriber self install was allowed. I understand that initially a caveat was put on performance due to the unknown quality of the internal wiring, from the terms Al as posted it appears that caveat is no longer used.

This thread is a learning experience for me, I considered FTTC but the best estimate is 24Mbs, I get 10-11Mbs on ADSL2 and find that adequate, it’s not worth the extra cost for myself.

Edit. I should have stated the self install is the part in the home, OpenReach do the cabinet change over.

Last edited by Nuvistor; 9th Jan 2018 at 8:55 am. Reason: Info on Home install
Old 9th Jan 2018, 8:58 am   #93
Station X

To summarize:-

Post #2 answers the OP's original question ie "Where can I get a driver"?

Post #21, the OP reports that he's successfully downloaded and installed the driver.

Prior to this the thread had wandered on to the subject of poor download speeds.

Post #35 describes how to check the sync speeds of a Plusnet router.

Post #59, the OP posts his sync speeds, these are good and point to a good link from his router to the street cabinet.

Post #81, the OP reports that Plusnet have advised him that his download problems are due to congestion problems at his local exchange, where an upgrade is pending. These problems may have been aggravated by the OS running on the OP's PC's.

This seems like an appropriate point to close the thread. If the OP later wants to report download results following the upgrade he can ask for it to be reopened.

THREAD CLOSED.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Old 13th Jan 2018, 6:40 pm   #94
Skywave
Dekatron

Question Internet FTTC and broadband speeds.

First, an update on the problems that I reported I was having with my new contract with Plusnet and a new (to me) FTTC connection. (A thread that is now closed refers). During late Friday 12th. / early Saturday 13th., it seems that BT have installed additional hardware at my local telephone exchange*. But I still remain somewhat confused . . .

So, second part: broadband speed tests: comparison of, understanding the results from, etc. (Yes, I am aware that this is a bit of a mine-field! )
But let me start with something that is relatively easy to explain. I have a PC with an Intel MoBo 2.66 GHz; Intel dual-core; 4 GB of RAM; 350 GB SATA HD; running Windows XP + SP3 (with minimal additional S/W) for speed tests. My contract states a D/L of 74 Mbps minimum. Two speed tests have been repetitively run since the aforementioned BT work:

(1) the BT Wholesale Broadband Speed Test
and
(2) a popular Broadband Speed test that is available on the Web.

#2 reports a D/L on the range 65 - 75 Mbps (was much less than that prior to the recent BT activity); the BTW test in range 30 - 35 Mbps. (The required conditions for the H/W and S/W, prior to those tests, were those as required by BT).
So which do I believe? Why the difference?

Supplementary remarks.
The following comments may assist in providing answers those Qs.
With either test, when the test PC was not running in 'isolation' - all other PCs were then connected to my local network, but sitting 'idle' - the difference in the D/L speed was minimal - about 5 Mbps. Ditto if the anti-virus (Avast!) was running or not. When the RAM in the test PC was reduced from 4 GB to 2 GB, that also made only a small difference. Of course, when all those 'things were 'in the mix', the cumulative effect was indeed noticeable - as I would expect.
Now I am aware that when a new installation (such as this) is commissioned, it can take up to 10 to 14 days for 'things to settle down', but surely that would affect both tests - and equally so?

Constructive comments will be much appreciated! - thank you.

Al.
Old 13th Jan 2018, 7:43 pm   #95
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Does the BT test use a Adobe Flash and the not second test? That would make the computer work more and possibly skew the results.
I use Ookla when testing speeds, found them very reliable.
http://www.ookla.com

The route to the BT test server could be congested.
Old 13th Jan 2018, 7:51 pm   #96
Skywave
Dekatron

Thumbs up Re: HP 4850 scanner: driver, Win_XP, 32-bit

Good Q., Frank. The BT test does indeed stipulate various conditions that should be met, prior to its test - and that incudes Flash and disabling anti-virus. All the other tests tried were far less particular. For those, Flash remained loaded.

"The route to the BT test server could be congested". I hadn't thought of that, but the BT Test is the one that Plusnet instructs its customers to use . . .

I'll try Ookla.

Al.
Old 13th Jan 2018, 8:47 pm   #97
mhennessy
Dekatron

Yes, I mentioned the BT Wholesale/Flash thing a while back. Most of the others don't require Flash, and potentially tax the CPU a less as a result. It might be interesting to have the Windows Task Manager running while you run these tests (it won't impact on the results) to see if there's a difference in CPU usage when using a Flash-based test and a non-Flash test.

What is your current sync speed?
Old 13th Jan 2018, 10:33 pm   #98
Skywave
Dekatron

Sync. speed, etc., from the router:

Data rate: 19,999 / 79,903
Max. data rate: 23,867 / 91,713
Noise: 7.4 / 9.1
Line atten: 8.0 / 8.6
Sig. atten.: 7.8 / 8.6

Presumably the data rates are Mbps and the others are dB.
The max. data rate figures are greater than what they were prior to BT's work, I believe.

As regards to use Flash or not to use Flash*, since Flash puts an additional load on the CPU, won't that give a misleading set of figures for the D/L & U/L speeds?

* Sounds like something from 'Hamlet': "To flash or not to flash - that is the question!"

Al. / Jan. 13th. //

Last edited by Skywave; 13th Jan 2018 at 10:44 pm.
Old 14th Jan 2018, 12:06 am   #99
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
The max. data rate figures are greater than what they were prior to BT's work, I believe.
The work done at the exchange was on the other side of the DSLAM, so wouldn't have affected your sync speed. Small changes in sync speed are to be expected at the best of times.

Quote:
Data rate: 19,999 / 79,903
Max. data rate: 23,867 / 91,713

Presumably the data rates are Mbps and the others are dB.
Yes, Mb/s. So the incoming is still well in excess of the 74 Mb/s line speed promised, so no problems between your modem and DSLAM.

We know that throughput - the speed reported by a speed test website - will always be less than the line/sync speed because of the overheads. This thread discusses the theoretical relationship between sync speed and throughput: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fib...html?fpart=all - it gets a bit mind-bending, but one post suggests that the highest throughput can only ever be 96.8% of your sync speed (77.44 Mb/s), though in practice it'll be a little bit less again. So I'd say that your best throughput result of 75 Mb/s is pretty good (and certainly better than 74 Mb/s).

Now, whether it's reasonable to expect to consistently get that throughput - and what sort of variations are considered "within tolerance" - is an interesting question. Really, that's the only outstanding question at this point.

Quote:
As regards to use Flash or not to use Flash*, since Flash puts an additional load on the CPU, won't that give a misleading set of figures for the D/L & U/L speeds?
Potentially. It's not a big issue for ADSL speeds, but at 75 Mb/s it might make a difference on an older machine. It's one of those "it depends" questions - there are many variables. Keeping an eye on the CPU usage while trying Flash and non-Flash tests might help us answer this question.

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 14th Jan 2018, 12:32 am   #100
Skywave
Dekatron

The Flash & non-Flash tests I will do tomorrow, ASAP. There a few other things broadly related to this saga that need to be done too. Sunday is a busy day for me, domestic-wise!

TTFN,
Al. / Sat. 13th. Jan. //