UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2010, 7:38 pm   #61
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Tv62

Well my set is nothing like the trader sheet around the LOP. CRT first anode supply is different too. My Bush paperwork has several different versions and I don't have the time now to work out exactly what I've got. Some versions definitely have the EY86 EHT rect so that's one mystery solved.

One or more waxies have probably failed. C56, the boost capacitor is quite heavily stressed though if it had failed I would expect to see some distress in the LOP valve and a generally struggling LOP stage.

Definitely time to stop for the day.
Old 26th Mar 2010, 10:27 pm   #62
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Just removed the LOPT cover and found the PL81 milky white so thats breached. I've got a new one so will fit another.

Upon close inspection I could see a crack all around the base about 1cm up. Once out you can see it had totally failed.

Don't suppose this would be the source of my mysterious humm when doing the test Jeffrey suggested
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PL81.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	33774  

Last edited by oldticktock; 26th Mar 2010 at 10:46 pm.
Old 26th Mar 2010, 11:02 pm   #63
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The bad PL81 would have stopped the LOP working but otherwise no effect.
Old 26th Mar 2010, 11:15 pm   #64
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Ok just intrigued as to what my humm was, thought I had a PL81, but I have 4 PY81's no PL81 typical. Just ordered one up.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 12:24 am   #65
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have the original TV62 manual that is used in conjuction with the manual for the TV53/TV56. I unearthed them when searching for the TV24 manual for another Forum member. I can send you these manuals and if you wish to copy them and return them to me that will be fine. They are rather large to scan and send electronically. PM with details if you require them. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV62.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	33777  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 27th Mar 2010 at 12:29 am. Reason: Picture added.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 7:15 am   #66
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Hi John thanks for the offer, i've downloaded that manual from duke nukem's website
Chris
Old 27th Mar 2010, 7:23 am   #67
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I have the original TV62 manual....
Thanks for the offer. I reckon that's the one we can download from Jon's website.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 7:57 am   #68
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

My lopt has the EY51.

The power chassis has the single large TAG strip with components mounted underneath as well as on top. Did Bush not consider the poor old TV service man? if one of the caps buried away underneath needed replacement was he really expected to disturb so much to get at so few.

Oh how I wish I had the two tag strip that would have made cap changing so much easier, why oh why 1st radio was a mare (Derwent) now this TV

ISTR Duke_Nukem saying that there were caps to replace under the tag board and they were a pain to get at so his could be the same as mine.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LOPT.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	33780   Click image for larger version

Name:	STAG.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	33781  
Old 27th Mar 2010, 8:06 am   #69
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldticktock View Post
My lopt has the EY51....
I know that photos can be misleading but that EHT rect looks like it plugs in and is hence an EY86/7. The EY51 is wire ended.
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0415.htm
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0153.htm

Looks like you've got a perfectly standard later chassis with single tagboard. Mine's an oddball - EY86, twin tagboards but with non-standard component layout. I've got another TV62. Maybe I should drag that one out and see if it's more like yours.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 8:25 am   #70
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Ah I see correct, just unplugged and its EY86. I was wary of unplugging wish I could stop thinking every time I touch anything around the LOPT i'm going to get a belt.

Chris
Old 27th Mar 2010, 9:21 am   #71
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Just looking through my TV valves and found a few spare EY86's also one marked EY86/87 is this ok it looks the same inside except inside at the bottom.

My valve data book says it's for high humidity and low atmospheric pressure, both valves read, 22,000V peak,0.8 max rect current,heater of 6.3V/0.09amps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zi6_9385.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	33782  
Old 27th Mar 2010, 10:13 am   #72
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The EY87 was an uprated version of the EY86. Fully interchangeable as far as earlier sets (such as the TV62) are concerned. Referring to your other post I doubt you'll get much sense from testing them on a valve tester. Will tell you if there's emission but that's all.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 10:18 am   #73
MALC SCOTT
Octode

I have a spare new PL81 you are welcome to have.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 11:25 am   #74
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Had a look at my other TV62 and it's the standard newer arrangment. Bush did the service guys no favours by putting components on the back of the tagboard. The TV62 manual on Jon's site looks correct. Remember that the component numbering is VERY different to the trader sheet.

When I get round to doing the set properly I'll run it up as discussed earlier. Then take out the tagboard - photos and notes essential - and replace everything that could possibly give trouble. I only want to take it out once!
Old 27th Mar 2010, 12:06 pm   #75
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Remember that the component numbering is VERY different to the trader sheet.
Hi Jeffrey,

That's what I was eluding to in my posts yesterday regarding nothing making sense with component locations etc.

Duke's manual matched somewhat better although not as good as the trader sheet in other respects as you say numbering etc. If you took the best from both that would make something half decent, but still not perfect.

I'm so not looking forward to taking that Tag board out it's really put me off.

Malc,

I may take you up on your kind offer of the PL81, but I'm so far off getting anywhere near putting EHT through this, the one on order will arrive.

Chris

Last edited by oldticktock; 27th Mar 2010 at 12:33 pm.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 2:30 pm   #76
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Plucked up the courage to remove the EHT lead from the CRT using Ed's tips.

Now removed the LOPT and gave it with great care a clean-up, had to replace the EY86 topcap fly lead as the rubber wire had perished, new wire fitted and heat shrink, looks fine.

Spooky or what !!!

My birthday is 19th March 1963, this LOPT has a date stamp of 19th March 1958 and I purchased the set on 19th March 2010. Destiny...........

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zi6_9398.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	33785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zi6_9400.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	33786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zi6_9402.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	33787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zi6_9403.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	33788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zi6_9407.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	33789  

Last edited by oldticktock; 27th Mar 2010 at 2:38 pm.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 3:35 pm   #77
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Chris,
I'm sorry to have to repeat myself here but disturbing the lopt before you have got a picture on the set is playing with fire. It may have a perished top cap lead but that is not important. I'll try to put it in perspective. Imagine getting a car in for service that has been out of use for say 10 years and your asked by the customer who has just bought, it to have a look at it and quote for getting it roadworthy. You then remove the gearbox, rear axle and seats damaging brake lines, wiring and fixing plates just to give them a clean...You would need to get the engine started and see if it moves before you go down those paths.
Your TV62 will fire up fine despite the layer of dust and a few perished leads must be expected. These can all be sorted out when you have some sort of test card on the screen. This is exactly what I did with a TV63 that has been kicking about in my workshop for years and it was straightforward as yours will be if you follow the excellent advice given by Jeffrey and others on this thread. Generally speaking the plug in EY86 is fitted to the slightly later 60 series and the wired in EY51 the earlier 50 series. The tag board wiring is frustrating to work with but this series must be one of the easiest for a beginner to tackle. You will get there but you must refrain from the polishing bit until you get something on that screen! The problem is that items/components get disturbed or damaged and introduce loads of man made faults that are VERY frustrating to trace and correct. This will lead to desperation/frustration and loss of interest. We have ALL been there and that's how we all learn in all walks of life. The set probably worked to some extent when stored away so it just needs a tickle of mains to awaken it. You can clean it's teeth when you have given it some breakfast! Now lets see that screen lit up..
Take care, you wont get a shock and it's a great pity your so far away as you are very welcome to bring it to my workshop in W. Sussex and we could sort it out together.
Regards, John.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 4:01 pm   #78
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Hi John,

Shame about the distance, and until 3 years ago I lived in Brighton too! so it would have been a simple journey.

I do appreciate your advice and believe me I heard you on my shoulder giving me a right rolicking as I removed the dust, but believe me when I say, I did it with more than a delicate approach and i'm sure I did not disturb anything

As Jeffrey pointed out you and Steve P have enough experience and Guts to go ahead and fire up everything and fix on the fly, I for one have not reached your confidence levels.

I was following Jeffreys lead yesterday, and had it running with F1 removed, I had a loud humm and dripping wax from a cap. Could not go EHT due to the PL81.

LOPT re fitted, I don't have a possesion of an Aurora until April, so to be honest this is going on the back burner until then and I'm going back to radios with my tail between my legs.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 4:40 pm   #79
Kevin19
Tetrode

Hi

Just to give you a bit of support as I'm very new to TV also (last summer was my first TV radios for about 15 years) I was a bit unsure! No very un'sure but John gave me the same fantastic advice when I started on and Ekco T205 when I got both my TV 62 and TV 22 after a visual checks all round then with a variac I went for it yes there was smoke from the dropper resistors coated with dust! But both sets came up and gave a raster sure I changed a few capacitors there after doing one each time then set back on to see it still works both TVs work so well now. I did this method with the give away very damp stored rusty Pye VT2 that I I'm now working on not so lucky this time and I have already found a mistake I had made since! I wont offer any advice about fixing the TV62 as there is some fantastic help here re that on this forum. But I say just go for it you can usually see and hear if things are going wrong and quickly pull the plug or the RCD will trip anyway so as someone else very new to TV who was also scared of EHT! big time that has now fixed 5 TV's back to a great working condition just wanted to give you a bit of support and say go for it power it up and do like John says it does work.

Best wishes

Kev.
Old 27th Mar 2010, 10:47 pm   #80
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thanks Kevin,
Chris just needs a little help with this and all will be fine. As you say, we
all have to start somewhere.
Hello again Chris,
Don't be put off by my previous post. A television receiver just cannot keep a secret and once the line output stage is working it spills the beans and there is no stopping it.
1. Quick visual check for missing bits or obviously damaged components.

2 Snip capacitor across mains and with variac or lamp limiter, give it a little taste of
mains and see what happens. A distinctive damp smell of mains droppers and maybe
a bit of steam is quite normal from a set that has not been on for a long period.
3 Use all your senses to monitor what is happening. Valve heaters glowing, obvious
signs of burning or burning smell, maybe even a hum from the speaker/crackles,
bubbling caps, fireworks etc.
4 Aim to get the power supply and line timebase operational. Power supplies are very
little different from a DAC90 so no problems in that direction, just a bit more 'butch'.
5 The line timebase is a little more complicated but with these well constructed
designs, very few problems will be encountered and some sort of result are often
obtained with components that are somewhat faulty to say the least.
6 Now comes the good bit. With the power supply and line output stage operational
the set will give up all it's sins. Typical results would be a very distorted raster in the
vertical scan department caused by leaking waxies. Time to get the digital camera
out and take detailed pictures of the tag boards with particular reference to the
stage you are working on. When access is easy I would suggest replacing one
component at a time switching on after each and checking the results. As I
mentioned earlier the fault will 'unfold'. This can be quite exciting as you begin to
see results from all your hard work! Never replace more than two components
without a check due to the reasons mentioned earlier. You can see now why it is
important to get something on the screen no matter how distorted and blurred.
Valve bases, switches and preset controls can now be cleaned.
7 Make up lengths of different coloured flex with insulated crocodile clips at the ends.
These are used as temporary extensions when working on sub assemblies, tuners,
transformers and i.f. decks. Around 5-10 is a good number. Don't allow yourself to
get frustrated when it all appears to go wrong or you cannot understand what is
happening. Just call for help.
8 When you have obtained some promising results you can clean up your work and
move on to the next section i.e. sound, sync, set up and general adjustment.
9 Last but not least clean the chassis with a half in paintbrush, no bigger, [you want
to disturb the dust not dredge the ocean] and the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner. As
you get more experienced with television receivers you will be able to clean the
chassis earlier on but it's very easy to damage components and if the set does not
work after you have cleaned it you will know that 'you done it' and the fault will be
very easy to trace.
10 To conclude. Check, Heaters, H.T., Line timebase, Frame Timebase, Sync, R.F.
stages, Sound, set up and clean.
The EHT is pretty harmless on this type of receiver, certainly unpleasant but you are
most unlikely to come into contact with it. Just discharge it as suggested and your
fears will soon subside. All the best, Regards, John.
Closed Thread