UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 3rd Nov 2010, 8:20 pm   #601
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

Hello.

just had to get it Avo mk7 not 2 bad condition.

Part no 10945-19
Serial no 56698-A-555.

This makes 4 mk8 and 2 mk7.
Regards Kev.
Kevin Hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2010, 11:48 pm   #602
houndini
Retired Dormant Member

Hi - I have a pre war Avo Minor No. 16175-54 as marked on the scale card. The 5-54 is definitely hand written, possibly some or all of the rest of the number.

Cheers

Simon
houndini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 6:58 pm   #603
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Thanks for your input, Houdini (every little bit is welcome), and welcome to the Forum.
We're an odd lot, but friendly, sympathetic, and (together) a very knowledgeable bunch.
It's very rarely that a question can't be answered - and not uncommon for multuple divergent answers ! - but ther truth's in there, somewhere.
SPCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2010, 1:20 am   #604
Dave UXB
Retired Dormant Member

Just got a very nice Post Office No12/1, made by AVO;
Dave UXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2010, 9:56 pm   #605
factory
Octode

I have two AVO's

Model 7 MKII S/No 10578.A.1169.M.

Model 40 I can't seem to find a serial number on this one.

David
factory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 7:02 pm   #606
keith-g
Retired Dormant Member

Another one for your list from a proud new owner. I remember using these meters at school and always fancied one to play with so made a purchase off Ebay. A very good condition Test Set Mk1 which from the serial No I assume is equivalent to an AVO 8 Mk III.

Serial No - 3582-1297
keith-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2010, 7:32 pm   #607
Barnmead
Pentode

I have recently been given AVO Model8 MkIII s/n 79168-468 to add to my collection.
I have discovered an interesting article in volume 5 issue 3 of the BVWS magazine from December 1980 penned by R P Hawes of AVO ltd. It details the history and variations over the years from 1923.
Old 29th Nov 2010, 1:47 pm   #608
pmmunro
Octode

Richard,

The R P Hawes history can only be taken as a general guide. It has a considerable number of inaccuracies of date and fact.

It appears to have been written from memory and it has been suggested that it had to meet a deadline which not allow for more accurate research.

PMM.
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2010, 8:09 pm   #609
keith-g
Retired Dormant Member

Oops, just spotted a typo in my last message.

That serial no should read 3582-1267
keith-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2010, 10:51 pm   #610
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Thanks, Keith; it was puzzling me !
Old 29th Nov 2010, 11:19 pm   #611
SPCh
Rest in Peace

A follow-up to Peter Munro's latest comment.

Be wary of any AVO history write-up, however authoritative the source.
I've heard from many experts who claim to be writing, or are about to write, the definitive tome, but the information is simply not out there. Plenty of isolated "facts", many doubtful, some blatantly apocryphal, some just plain incorrect.
Anything which adds to the database is welcome, but to silt the record up with speculation, half-truths and errors helps nobody: errors easily get "set in concrete" and cause endless problems.

If it hasn't been verified or confirmed from other sources, don't believe it, and certainly don't repeat it.

Keith's "oops, sorry, I got the number wrong" is a classic example. An understandable, forgiveable, genuine mistake - we all make them - but if not corrected likely to play havoc with the statistics, and confuse the history.

For the record, throughout this Survey, I've queried (by PM) several inputs which seemed questionable. In most cases it was an "oops, yes, sorry; I inadvertently reversed those two digits".

Thanks to all who've provided inputs; please keep them coming.
If I don't believe them, I'll query them (discreetly) !

Cheers,

SPCh.
Old 1st Dec 2010, 10:53 pm   #612
peter729
Diode

Hello,

I have a universal model 40, serial number 18901-847, that’s been in the family for about 50 years, it originally belonged to my uncle.

Regards

Peter
peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2010, 11:58 am   #613
WME_bill
Octode

Default Precision Avometer

I came upon this specification and manual for the Precision Avometer recently, and thought it might answer howieleem's enquiry in Jan 2010. Perhaps the Avo experts already know all this. So if nothing else, the first page does date the move from Vauxhall Bridge Road to Dover. Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by howieleem View Post
I have a Precision Avometer, ser. no. 172-565 in large wooden box, certificate in lid dated 1970.
Does anyone know anything about this model?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Precision Avometer.pdf (1.12 MB, 380 views)
WME_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2010, 9:40 pm   #614
wave solder
Hexode

I have just acquired a Universal Avometer to add to the collection Serial No. 115-4458
wave solder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2010, 10:14 am   #615
pmmunro
Octode

Wave Solder,

That looks like the serial number for a 36-range Universal meter from November 1935. Can you confirm this please?

PMM.
Old 25th Dec 2010, 11:54 am   #616
athegn1
Diode

Default Avometer date, cost and battery

I have the Avometer Model 7 serial number:-

7344-14747

that my Father-in-Law used to use. He purchased it in the early 1940s when he was a line manager in Cowbridge House making radar equipment.

I take that the serial number means it was made in March 1944?

How much would it have cost in those days? I believe that it was a joint purchase with his wife's help.

The battery is a Siemens Brothers, Size T; it is giving a reading of 1.22 volts. What battery can I replace it with?
athegn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2010, 2:45 pm   #617
pmmunro
Octode

The serial number shows that your Model 7 was made in March 1944.

It wasn't only the price which was significant in 1944; the vast majority of the production of the time would be for military use and anyone else would have had to show that their need was essential to the war effort - and probably needed a licence to prove it.

This may be the reason that all the advertisements which I have for the Model 7 from the war-time years have no prices, although signal generators from Advance and BSR do. Potential customers are invited to "Write for fully descriptive literature and current prices".

At the time of its introduction in 1936, the Model 7 cost 15 guineas, by 1938 this had risen to 16 guineas. By late 1948, the price was £19 10s.

In all cases, this would be between 3 and 6 weeks pay for any engineer likely to use the meter, possibly between £1000 and £2000 of today's purchasing power.

There should be two batteries; the 1.5 volt cell for the lower resistance range (and bias on the alternating voltage ranges) and two 4.5 volt batteries for the higher ranges. (note that the Model 7 is the only "traditional" Avometer that needs a cell or battery for ranges other than resistance).

A 'D' cell is suitable for the low resistance ranges and Avo sold an SRBP frame with phosphor bronze arc spring contacts to adapt the size - details are show in a previous thread. The 4.5 volt batteries are still available as 3LR12/1289/GP312 eg Duracell MN1203, Energizer 1289 or Varta 4012

PMM.
Old 25th Dec 2010, 11:55 pm   #618
wave solder
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post
Wave Solder,

That looks like the serial number for a 36-range Universal meter from November 1935. Can you confirm this please?

PMM.

That is correct, and after a bit of TLC is now fully functional.
wave solder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2010, 11:42 am   #619
athegn1
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post

It wasn't only the price which was significant in 1944; the vast majority of the production of the time would be for military use and anyone else would have had to show that their need was essential to the war effort - and probably needed a licence to prove it.

This may be the reason that all the advertisements which I have for the Model 7 from the war-time years have no prices, although signal generators from Advance and BSR do. Potential customers are invited to "Write for fully descriptive literature and current prices".

At the time of its introduction in 1936, the Model 7 cost 15 guineas, by 1938 this had risen to 16 guineas. By late 1948, the price was £19 10s.

In all cases, this would be between 3 and 6 weeks pay for any engineer likely to use the meter, possibly between £1000 and £2000 of today's purchasing power.

PMM.
Thank you.

Found out some more information from my Mother-in-Law. She paid for it from her savings; his wages, £5 per week, were being spent on running the household which now included my 6 months old wife to be. Price £19.19s.

This was a discounted price which he saw in a journal he regularly took. She does not think he had any sort of licence but he did work on top secret war work i.e. radar as did she; that is where they met. As a side note he was upset that he was not allowed to join up into the Air Force because of his occupation.
Old 29th Dec 2010, 12:53 pm   #620
athegn1
Diode

My mother-in-law would like the Avometer to go to a "good home" Any ideas?