UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2018, 10:53 pm   #1
Tinsaint
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker Talisman

Hi. I have just purchased a very nice looking Hacker Talisman fitted with a BSR 128P turntable. The problem I'm having is it won't play a record without the tonearm trying to track backwards. I've followed great articles on this site to set up the balance, tracking etc but to no avail. Any ideas what could be causing this ? PS I was told a new stylus had been fitted recently. Thanks in advance
Old 9th Dec 2018, 1:02 am   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Hacker Talisman

Hello and welcome - the most likely culprit is old, hardened grease. IIRC there is an arm which slides in towards the trip pawls to nudge them when the velocity increases in the run off groove. This activates the return/stop mechanism. If that's a bit sticky it would cause your problem. Off with the platter and soften the grease with liberal application of a hair dryer. If that improves things - give it a proper clean.
Old 9th Dec 2018, 1:20 am   #3
Boulevardier
Octode

Default Re: Hacker Talisman

What do you mean by "trying to track backwards"? Do you just mean that the arm is stiff and sticking, or that it's moving freely but creeping outwards towards the outer circumference of the record?

Mike
Old 9th Dec 2018, 1:04 pm   #4
Tinsaint
Retired Dormant Member

Hi. When the tonearm is placed on the groove at the beginning of a record it feels like the stylus doesn't want to follow the groove, it actually feels like it's physically trying to move back towards the rest position if that makes sense?

Right. Some development to report. I had a look at the anti skate mechanism and the long spring looked to be stuck behind a small metal pin, it didn't look quite right so I re routed the spring so it wasn't stretched behind the pin and that seems to have cured it. Only problem now is the sound isn't too great but I suspect it's the wrong stylus that's been fitted. Could someone point me in the right direction as to what stylus would be best, or indeed if there might be any benefit in installing a different cartridge. As you have probably already gathered I am very much a novice but I'm only too willing to take advice from all you knowledgeable folk. Thanks in advance
Paul
Closed Thread