UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2016, 11:15 am   #21
6.3volts
Pentode

Default Re: Source of interesting card

I have used this type of hard dark card many times to make replacement capacitor blocks for early radios. So often the originals were removed when new caps were fitted. They look the part and are rigid even if full of empty space with new caps inside.
Old 8th Jul 2016, 11:43 am   #22
Hartley118
Nonode

For PCB 'sharp side' protection, we used to use 'Elephantide' - a tough impregnated paper which also comes laminated with polyester.

I'm interested to see that it's still available from RS http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/electr...films/7757794/

Martin
Old 8th Jul 2016, 2:24 pm   #23

Quote:
'Elephantide'
Cor, that brings back memories.

Old 12th Jul 2016, 12:15 pm   #24
Herald1360
Dekatron

I thought it was called Elephant Hide for quite a while. The stuff I first met was dark grey and seemed as tough as its name suggested.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Jul 2016, 12:47 pm   #25
greenstar
Octode

I have just opened up a finished carton of Sainsbury's organic orange juice, as you do. No aluminium coating, just a nice brownish wax impregnated card, viewed from the inside. The OG apple juice is also not aluminised. Most drinks cartons have an aluminium/plastic inner layer or are white. Something else to hoard.

Last edited by greenstar; 17th Jul 2016 at 1:12 pm.
Old 17th Jul 2016, 1:53 pm   #26

Apple (the computer people) have very posh card in their packaging (said new owner of an ipad mini).

Old 17th Jul 2016, 2:19 pm   #27
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

PVA, or to be correct EVA is the waterproof version. PVA soaked into a fibre base, once dried out is relatively waterproof.

However, gaskets that soak up the "liquid" if that is their purpose, seal better than dry gaskets!

But I was considering oil gaskets primarily. The pva just makes it easier to tap out and shape.
Closed Thread