UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2006, 3:56 pm   #1
Geoff G4ICD
Triode

Default Cleaning Cream/White/Ivory colour Knobs

Here's a tip you will love: I had about 25 cream knobs to clean, the usual way I do this is to use a toothbrush and fairy liquid, it takes a long time to do it this way! So, here's the tip, get yourself down to the local "Pound Shop" and buy a tub of "OXI", (you get a massive tub for £1 or you can buy the stuff advertised on TV for £4 at the hardware store or Asda), use the measurer supplied and then add very hot water into a container, leave it for an hour or two, then inspect the dirty fluid! The knobs will be like new! amazing stuff, and, a tub will last you a lifetime...............
Old 8th Oct 2006, 4:02 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Cleaning Cream/White/Ivory colour Knobs

I think that stuff is basically hydrogen peroxide, so soaking the knobs in laundry bleach will probably work also, or HP from the chemist (more expensive that way though).

Good tip, but does anybody with better chemistry knowledge than me know if hydrogen peroxide will attack any early plastics?

Paul
Old 8th Oct 2006, 4:47 pm   #3
Geoff G4ICD
Triode

Good tip, but does anybody with better chemistry knowledge than me know if hydrogen peroxide will attack any early plastics?

Well HP (if it is HP) never did any harm to Piano keys of the plastic variety as i used it for years, this stuff bubbles like mad and pulls off all the grime/dirt located in the slots of the knobs. I have been using it for about 6 months and still amazed at what it does.............Geoff
Old 8th Oct 2006, 5:19 pm   #4
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

I think that Hydrogen Peroxide should be fairly safe if well diluted.

I haven't tried it on knobs but I have a very grubby set from a Hacker which look to be ideal to try it on!

Regards,
Old 8th Oct 2006, 5:43 pm   #5
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I've used this stuff on a number of plastic parts and it cleans everything up well without damaging anything so far.

Just don't let it anywhere near aluminium, it eats the protective oxide/anodising off... So don't use it on any knobs with brights.

Regards, Kat
Old 8th Oct 2006, 7:00 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Sounds good to me Kat. I cleaned television knobs in an identical way using the old 'FLASH' crystals. A teaspoon in a tumbler of hot water worked exactly the same. You can't buy the crystals anymore unfortunately but the liquid version used almost neat does the same thing but at a higher cost.Regards John.
Old 9th Oct 2006, 7:26 pm   #7
razor600
Retired Dormant Member

I put the front cream panel & knobs from a DAC10 in the dishwasher and they came out nice & clean (beats scrubbing with a tooth brush).

Ray.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 6th Sep 2007 at 9:25 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Closed Thread