UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2006, 10:29 am   #1
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Default Parts for Akai 4000D.

Hi folks.

I've just aquired a nice example of Akai's 4000D. However, the 'cam' which operates the record function has crumbled and fallen away in many pieces.

So I shall try the one from my 4000DS, as I'm pretty convinced this will not have been something that Akai would have changed, and if it is compatible I will be left with a couple of options;

1. Can anyone help with a supplier for this part? and/or,

2. Any suggestions for a suitable material from which to make or mould a new part?

Also, the main drive belt seems a little slack and would benefit from replacement. Again, possible suppliers?

Any suggestions gratefully received!
Old 30th Aug 2006, 9:41 pm   #2
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Parts for Akai 4000D.

Hi Roger,
This problem is discussed in another thread. "Akai 4000DS".
Hopefully the moderator will transfer your request to that thread.
Hope you manage to sort the problem on your M/c. Regards Peter W
Reelguy
Old 31st Aug 2006, 6:02 pm   #3
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy View Post
Hi Roger,
This problem is discussed in another thread. "Akai 4000DS".
Hopefully the moderator will transfer your request to that thread.
Hope you manage to sort the problem on your M/c. Regards Peter W
Reelguy
Hi Peter.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Cheers. Roger.
Old 14th Sep 2006, 2:13 pm   #4
sam waylen
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger13 View Post
Hi folks.
Hi there I am new i.e. today...the reason I am here is to restore my own Akai 4000D which has been in a garage for 20 years.Sleeve missing and the rubber wheel badly dented..I don't really know how to use this forum properly yet but I noticed you asking for parts.I could'nt get to the recommended 4000DS site ,so instead I am posting this in the hope that one of you kind knowledgeable people can help me make a start with this project.

P.S.There may be other stuff wrong but a local shop has quoted £30-50 for a repair provided I supply the parts.The Vu Meters light up...Gosh aren't they pretty but nothing rolls..
Any helpers ?

I've just aquired a nice example of Akai's 4000D. However, the 'cam' which operates the record function has crumbled and fallen away in many pieces.

So I shall try the one from my 4000DS, as I'm pretty convinced this will not have been something that Akai would have changed, and if it is compatible I will be left with a couple of options;

1. Can anyone help with a supplier for this part? and/or,

2. Any suggestions for a suitable material from which to make or mould a new part?

Also, the main drive belt seems a little slack and would benefit from replacement. Again, possible suppliers?

Any suggestions gratefully received!
Old 14th Sep 2006, 7:45 pm   #5
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam waylen View Post
Hi Sam.

Things stay really quiet when you ask about Akai recorder spares don't they? I suspect that's because they're probably not available, and all the old stock has long been used up.

Hang in there though, because the 4000D (in my humble opinion) is well worth the effort. Your best bet is to keep an eye on Ebay. Sometimes there are 'philistines' who break them and auction the parts. Even better, watch out for one that's a bit tatty (nice ones get a good price) and confirm the parts you want are present. Could be you'll get a bargain!

Here's a tip: Disconnect from the mains and open up the machine (remove the four rubber feet and the two screws at the front of the machine, and the whole works will slide out as one) and check the cam on the end of the Play/Record lever spindle. If it is intact, CAREFULLY remove it and make a replica from good material. These cams are made from rubbish metal and can AND WILL crumble into many pieces, making the machine 'replay only'. While you're in there check the main drive belt. If it's 'gone' then all is not lost as it's a flat section belt, and these are fairly readily available (Google 'CPC').

Also:

The capstan pinch wheel is interchangeable with those from the 4000DS and 1721 recorders. They're slightly different cosmetically but they work OK. So if you find a scrap one of those.....

Your best bet for the capstan sleeve (unless some kind soul takes pity and can let you have a spare) is to find a friendly engineer who will turn you one on a lathe. I don't actually own a micrometer but I'm sure someone here will be better equipped to give you the dimensions.

Good Luck.

Roger.
Closed Thread