UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2006, 2:21 am   #21
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Advice on first Reel to Reel Purchase

Ian,
I'm an analog man from way back but as Kat says, the digital stuff available now is relatively cheap, and fantastic. You would have no problems getting a faithful digital recording of your classical guitar.
It'll come down more to mics, mic technique and correct recording levels at the time of recording, and later on, at your leisure, correct use of eq, reverb, compression etc but they can all be done after you've captured the performance cleanly. With digital you can rework the mix as many times as you like and never wear out or lose the original recording. Also no analog generational losses when doing a mixdown.
There are some great Digital Audio Workstations around these days, the modern equivalent of the old cassette based portastudios, but with all sorts of other software based goodies in them, and a variety from the very basic to the sky's the limit. Why not have a look at this option too? It's all in one neat package.
Regards, Tim
Old 1st Sep 2006, 11:54 pm   #22
Ingenium
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Kat - Thanks for the advice. I must say that I am now looking at the convenience of Digital utilising software- I do not have an apple but PC although I believe the hardware is most likely not that expensive.

I have a Tascam BR-20 and am looking at the cost of a Reverb/compression/ mixer hardware cost. Have you any ideas on this as I am trying to compare costs.

Regards

Ian
Old 1st Sep 2006, 11:56 pm   #23
Ingenium
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Tim - Thanks, have you any recommendations on Hardware.

Regards

Ian
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 1:37 am   #24
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Ian,

I believe the BR-20 is a two-track machine, so I'd guess you're not all that interested in recording multple tracks. I'm the opposite; I play (electric) guitar and bass, keyboards (badly), and programme sequenced percussion tracks and multiple synth tracks. So I find four tracks isn't enough, eight is a bit restrictive still and sixteen is enough, sometimes. Hence using a computer is more appropriate as I only run out of tracks when the CPU can't handle any more. On a decent modern system that's a lot of tracks.

But for two tracks you don't need much of a mixer. As long as it has a decent mic amplifier and EQ along with insert points for dynamics etc. and an effects send/return for reverb that'd be sufficient.

The reverb proccessor I've had for years is a Klark Teknik DN780 which I utterly adore. I've seen them sell for around £700 on eBay. Very much "pro" kit, though. But it can produce a very natural ambience with many adjustable parameters. It can be as subtle as adding the ambience of, say, a drawing room or as "over the top" as providing an effect I can only liken to what would happen if you tiled St. Paul's Cathedral! I believe the BBC used these for radio drama productions, possibly still do even though the earliest ones must be 20 years old or so now.

As far as dynamics gear goes, you can pay anything from £150 to over £5000. I have used and really like vintage valve ones, but they're expensive. I still don't own one; I've usually managed to borrow Drawmer ones and suchlike on occasion. Another point in favour of the software approach; if I wanted dynamics processing on all 16 tracks of a multitrack recording I'd need 16 compressor/limiters. That's expensive when using real ones; but when they're implemented in software you can have as many as you want (within limits of CPU power) for free.

Two of my favourite sources of pro gear on the 'net are Audio Toyshop and Funky Junk - I've bought odd bits of gear from them before (the most recent was a SMTPE synchroniser/master clock generator/midi interface gadget which was a bargain at £150; new they were more like £500.)

The equipment I've worked with and serviced means I tend to lean towards professional kit, but it's expensive and I'm usually skint. Going digital, to me, means I can produce results with relatively inexpensive hardware comparable with using very expensive, very good professional gear.

So, I'm not sure I'm all that useful for advice as most of what I know about is ridiculously expensive professional gear which I can't afford; and I need lots of tracks. So for what you're wishing to do, the kind of analogue gear I'd have for myself is probably somewhat excsessive.

But what I can reiterate is I'm realising that I can do a lot more at a higher quality for less money with little more than a decent modern computer, FireWire audio interface and software. And it takes up less space and is more reliable. (It's the "reliability" aspect which means I'd recommend a Mac for this over a Windows machine. The professionals use Macs for a reason, they work better and don't go wrong as often. It's still a good idea to make multiple backups, though!)

I'd agree with Tim, though; I'd forgotten about the small digital audio workstations which have effectively replaced cassette portastudios. Many of these are capable of excellent results and I'd suggest taking a trip to a decent dealer who'll take the time to demonstrate one to you.

Regards, Kat
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 2:46 am   #25
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenium View Post
Hi Tim - Thanks, have you any recommendations on Hardware.

Regards

Ian
Hi Ian,
As models go, no, I have no hands on experience. My stuff is an add-on to my PC on which I'm talking to you now, which is OK for economy but not exactly portable! In the advertising I see respected brands like Roland, Yamaha, Tascam. As Kat say, try a good dealer or two and I'm sure they'll show you what's around. Just the usual caveat that they will probably try and sell you a model with more fruit than you might need in your application, but we've all been there before, hey.
On the other hand, with all sorts of software plug ins that you wouldnt have afforded years ago, you get to the point of saying, how did I ever do without that before? It's a learning curve.
I now wish I'd made the digital transition a lot earlier than I did.

Regards, Tim.
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 9:38 pm   #26
Bev and Andy
Retired Dormant Member

Very reluctantly I am coming round to the digital route,not only from a price piont of view,but the more I look into it the digital path seems far less complex setup -wise but also easier to opperate _good luck
Old 13th Sep 2006, 8:51 pm   #27
Ingenium
Retired Dormant Member

Kat - I have converted to a Tascam 788 as I am convinced the ease of use will outweigh the potential benefit of reel-to reel. yet to be tried but I will keep you informed.

Ian
Closed Thread