UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2006, 7:06 pm   #1
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Default Removal of stubborn push-on knobs.

Hi All, Went to the local boot sale this morning and picked up two Hacker Sovereigns.One works well on all bands but the other only on VHF.I intend to strip both and use all of the good bits to make one good one.There are signs on one radio that someone has attempted to prize off the two largest knobs and they have buckled the brights.The bass and tone pulled off easily,is there a trick to removing the larger ones and is there anything else i need to know about before i attempt to strip them down.I know absolutely nothing about these types of radio so any info will be gratefully received. Regards to all, Colin.
Old 1st Oct 2006, 7:41 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign 2.Help needed.

Hi Colin,

If there's a special trick to removing the volume and tuning knobs I've yet to find it. Most often I find they'll come off by just gripping the plastic and pulling, which is safest if you can do it as there's no need to touch the aluminium skirt. Otherwise, it's the usual tactic of a thin piece of cloth wrapped round a time and a half under the knob and pulled: I don't think I've ever caused any serious distortion to the skirt that way.

Paul
Old 15th Oct 2006, 4:51 pm   #3
Superhet Si
Pentode

Turn the radio upside down and spray the pot shaft with WD40. leave over night and then heat the knob with a hairdryer. Should come off then!
Old 15th Oct 2006, 6:55 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I get Hacker knobs off using two forks or fork handles. I push the forks right under the knob, (not under the skirt) one either side, and gently rock and they soon come off. Obviously one has to be careful not to apply to much pressure on the perspex dial but I haven't cracked one yet ! Here's a pic of a Hacker Sovereign II acquired today with forks in action. As you can see, no damage to knob or perspex, it took under 30 seconds, and judging by the amount of dust under it, it hasn't been off for the best part of 40 years.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hackerknob 001.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	6178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hackerknob 002.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	6179  
Old 16th Oct 2006, 7:25 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quite often the reason for knobs being difficult to remove is the fact that the spindle and steel knob clips have corroded together - using WD40 or penetrating oil (if OK with plastics) will eventually shift them.

Colin
Sounds like an excellent car boot sale!

Howard
Four candles?
Old 16th Oct 2006, 9:40 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes - my main caveat with a Hacker would be the possible effect of solvent oils on the back of the control panel and, when it came to the tuning knob, the likelihood of their getting on to the drive cord and doing no good. WD40 in particular, in my experience, seems to have a way of getting everywhere when sprayed, so most of the time if I use it at all I spray a little on the back of a spatula (OK, a screwdriver ) and drip it on to where it's needed.

My fears for the panel may be perfectly groundless: I've just yet to try the experiment of applying WD40 (or whatever) and watching for any effects. I must have removed comfortably over 50 of these particular volume and tuning knobs without ever needing anything beyond the wrapped cloth treatment.

Paul
Old 16th Oct 2006, 10:43 am   #7
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign 2. Help needed.

Hi All, Thanks for all of your suggestions. On the radio in question, the knobs were so close to the dial that it was almost impossible to get anything under or around them. I found a strong piece of ribbon fabric which is very thin and it slipped under the knobs. I wound it once around the shaft, pulled hard, and hey presto the knob/s flew off!

Last edited by Darren-UK; 6th Sep 2007 at 9:38 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Closed Thread