UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2018, 9:42 am   #21
Station X

Default Re: Which wires are what?

We'd prefer it if discussion about this problem took place in the forums rather than by exchange of PM's. That way we can all see what's going on.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 9:22 pm   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Which wires are what?

Agreed Graham, especially when things aren't that clear already.

Re "Which wires are what?"
I was fixing a trendy modern table lamp today. When I opened the base the mains lead to a substantial TR was revealed as having a black and grey [?] twin core. Black was negative. On the other hand, one of the two outputs [bright and brighter] switched to the 12v mini halogen bulb was Red!

Just to complete the story, I was convinced it would be the small ceramic bulb holder as wiggling it had helped previously, then the switch and finally the transformer was suspect. As I removed the plastic cover from the crimped wire connection up the neck to the holder [to check for 12v] normal service was restored due to an intermittent contact Didn't expect that but happy with the result!

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 3rd Dec 2018 at 9:28 pm.
Closed Thread