UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2019, 8:24 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Talking Must get my eyes checked!!

Good evening,
Had a slightly embarrassing moment today when I walked into Rugby town centre. I spotted what looked like a nice vintage transistor Roberts radio in a charity shop window for sale. I went to enquire only to discover that it was in fact an empty tin of biscuits with a radio printed on the lid !! Naturally I didn’t buy it!

Christopher Capener
Old 15th May 2019, 8:26 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Must get my eyes checked!!

Ooer..
Old 15th May 2019, 8:33 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

Did it look anything like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	183167  
Old 15th May 2019, 8:37 pm   #4
g4aaw pete
Heptode

I'll admit to buying a radio-shaped tin,
knowing it had only biscuits therein.
Old 15th May 2019, 8:44 pm   #5
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
It was identical to that (glasses currently in working mode !!)
Old 15th May 2019, 8:47 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

My other half went through a phase of collecting decorative tins at one time.
Old 15th May 2019, 8:52 pm   #7
Biggles
Rest in Peace

My recent embarrassing eyesight moment was when I went into the local Screwfix branch and left my reading specs in the car. A couple of misread catalogue numbers later and I nearly walked out of the shop with some obscure power tools. Thank goodness the person on the till showed me the items on the screen to check they were the correct items. It probably happens quite a lot. They must watch for the customers peering, closing one eye or moving nearer/further away from the catalogues!
Alan.
Old 15th May 2019, 8:57 pm   #8
ekjdm14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
Quote:
It was identical to that (glasses currently in working mode !!)
An identical tin went through our local auction house a few weeks ago in a mixed lot. Whomever typed up the lot description was also fooled into believing it was an actual radio so don't feel too bad! (Also, I went to said auction & specifically looked through that lot for said radio. Thankfully I realised before putting in any bids!)
Old 15th May 2019, 9:07 pm   #9
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

It's the rose coloured glasses Christopher!
Old 15th May 2019, 9:07 pm   #10
Hartley118
Nonode

Caveat emptor!

M
Old 16th May 2019, 12:51 am   #11
joebog1
Banned

I am currently waiting for cataract operation, the reason my new amplifier build has stopped. I can hardly see at all from right eye. I guess its when our use by date approaches .

I am using 1 watt metal film resistors and I need my glasses AND a maggie lamp to read the values. This creates very bad eye strain after only a few minutes.

Joe
Old 16th May 2019, 7:52 am   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
One of the many things that I have collected over the years, I did it myself in the 70s. Lovely looking things, but like many collections you (well 'me') eventually lose track of what or why you are collecting all this stuff only to bring a storage/display/dust problem on to yourself. So I got rid of them. Still like them though. Some gorgeous, sculpted Huntley & Palmers biscuit tins out there.
Old 16th May 2019, 8:00 am   #13
stevehertz
Dekatron

I've got this theory that people are much more able to 'own up' and do something about their sight, but far less so about their hearing? I have recently returned from a short cycling tour with similar 'elderly gentlemen' and at least three of them are profoundly deaf, yet refuse to fully acknowledge it and refuse to wear hearing aids. So you have to repeat everything all the while. When I needed to wear glasses full time I did so happily, I am so happy to see properly, and when the time comes to add an hearing aid to the bionic arsenal, I will happily do so. I don't get the resistance thing, surely when you're balding, wrinkly and clearly 'aged', the addition of a micro miniature hearing aid isn't going to affect your level of attraction to the opposite sex? I mean, is that what it's about?! There's vanity and there's stupidity!
Old 16th May 2019, 9:17 am   #14
greg_simons
Octode

One from the files!.
Greg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	243D9D2A00000578-0-image-a-110_1419431121032.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	183202  
Old 16th May 2019, 9:33 am   #15
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
far less so about their hearing? I have recently returned from a short cycling tour with similar 'elderly gentlemen' and at least three of them are profoundly deaf
I have had substandard hearing for most / all(?) of my life - I'm not regarded as clinically deaf but probably started off about 50% down on the degree to which most people hear.

The unfortunate fact is that for most of the time my being a bit deaf inconveniences other people more than it inconveniences me, so it is bearable by me, if not so much by others.

Being half-blind has a much more direct and debilitating effect - if your eyesight is bad and you know it, having to wear glasses is a small inconvenience to bear for such a dramatic improvement. (I do wear glasses - readers with very narrow lenses which I look over the top of most of the time, but look through when I need to see things close up). SWMBO says they make me look like a toymaker.

With hearing aids, it's all about having to keep the stupid things supplied with energy. If the day comes when they can be powered by body heat, that will be a big step forward.
Old 16th May 2019, 10:23 am   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Quote:
far less so about their hearing? I have recently returned from a short cycling tour with similar 'elderly gentlemen' and at least three of them are profoundly deaf
I have had substandard hearing for most / all(?) of my life - I'm not regarded as clinically deaf but probably started off about 50% down on the degree to which most people hear.

The unfortunate fact is that for most of the time my being a bit deaf inconveniences other people more than it inconveniences me, so it is bearable by me, if not so much by others.

Being half-blind has a much more direct and debilitating effect - if your eyesight is bad and you know it, having to wear glasses is a small inconvenience to bear for such a dramatic improvement. (I do wear glasses - readers with very narrow lenses which I look over the top of most of the time, but look through when I need to see things close up). SWMBO says they make me look like a toymaker.

With hearing aids, it's all about having to keep the stupid things supplied with energy. If the day comes when they can be powered by body heat, that will be a big step forward.
Thus proving my point. To some extent, and sadly, I find that I speak less to those guys because they don't hear me anyway, especially when riding along on the bike. I don't do that out of any kind of 'spite', it's just easier not to bother (if it's not important) as problems, constantly having to repeat oneself invariably ensue. So demonstrably, the hard of hearing do, inadvertently, suffer as result of people simply not bothering to speak to them. Batteries are free from most hospitals. It's up to the individual if they don't want to wear a hearing aid, but my message to them is please understand the frustration that it causes others who, to the benefit of all, want to communicate and have to struggle to do so.
Old 16th May 2019, 10:44 am   #17
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Pardon?

I wear an aid to counteract the tinnitus, its no biggy but something else to remember and that's the rub.
Old 16th May 2019, 11:18 am   #18
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
One of the many things that I have collected over the years, I did it myself in the 70s. Lovely looking things, but like many collections you (well 'me') eventually lose track of what or why you are collecting all this stuff only to bring a storage/display/dust problem on to yourself. So I got rid of them. Still like them though. Some gorgeous, sculpted Huntley & Palmers biscuit tins out there.
There sure are a lot to collect.
There are jukeboxes and record players too. We also have a black taxi.
I have "saved" a few decorative items that are at risk of being destroyed by the politically correct police.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	183208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	183209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg
Views:	110