UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2019, 3:49 pm   #81
avocollector
Heptode

Default Re: So what's the deal with single ended hifi amps?

Quote:
Charging 10 times the price is the main means of justifying charging 10 times the price. Nobody would believe you if you said it was worth 10 times but only charged 5 times.
What you mean the 'unrepeatable bargains' offered every week in the old flyers/mags (with treble green shield stamps of course, and later on a free set of ginzu steak knives) were LIES? You mean I could not buy a 99 guinea quality radio (made in Hong Kong) for only 25 guineas and 100 coupons?? Next you'll be telling me there is no audio difference between oxygen free cryrogenically treated speaker cable (with gold plugs) and normal ones!!! LOL.
Old 3rd May 2019, 3:55 pm   #82
avocollector
Heptode

To divert you all and show there is no mortgage on this sort of thing in audio amps there is the story of 'Nashville straights You see ordinary guitar strings come neatly coiled in a little envelope BUT some acoustic engineers back in the 70's decided this downgraded the string. So they came out with strings in a straight package (about 4 foot long) AND cryrogenically treated - for only 3x price of a normal packet of strings. Needless to say they did not last long despite various 'name' guitarists praising their superior sonic qualities!!
Old 3rd May 2019, 4:21 pm   #83
dave cox
Nonode

There are a selection of solid state single-ended designs HERE

These do have the benefit of simplicity and likely knock the spots off the SE tube designs for ~ 1/1000th the price !

dc

PS: the 'zen variations' are SE, the others are class A
Old 3rd May 2019, 5:37 pm   #84
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I think very highly of Nelson Pass. He has his company making very serious amplifiers with eye-watering prices, and he has his DIY side, and works very hard at that too.

The one that makes me chuckle is the monster transmission line subwoofers he built https://www.passdiy.com/project/spea...d-of-el-pipe-o

With the superb line "Funny things happen when your speakers are flat to 13 Hz. You have to be careful about your tone arm, your windows, your neighbors, and your bowels"

Craig
Old 5th May 2019, 3:28 am   #85
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchrodyne View Post
Single-ended transistor amplifiers are a rare species.
Hardly! Every early Sony Trinitron colour TV had one up to the mid 70s and they were not alone; Hitachi used this topology too, as did many other Japanese manufacturers. BRC also used this method for the very popular for their 8000 series sets. That lot alone encompasses millions of individual pieces of equipment.

In an early transistorised colour TV set there was usually a DC supply of around 115V which was stable, so long as you didn't take random gulps of current out of it. A transformer coupled singled ended audio output stage was therefore ideal for the 1 > 2W of audio output that was expected.
One of the first Philips all transistor table radio sets, the B5W32AT, used a single ended output stage with a germanium transistor (OC26 or so) and a small transformer.

Last edited by Maarten; 5th May 2019 at 3:47 am.
Old 5th May 2019, 4:44 am   #86
Radio Wrangler

In the early days of transistors, they were expensive and people hadn't yet learned how to design with them, so a lot of sets were designed as if they were valves. It hadn't been realised that other circuits might better exploit them, and those circuits were yet to be discovered.

Even years later, some people were still more comfortable with valve-like characteristics and valve-style circuits. They latched onto the JFET as a comfort zone. Just take a wander through all the Tech Topics columns Pat Hawker wrote and you'll see he was most comfortable with valves first and JFETs second.

We have a rich variety of different devices available to us (If you can get real ones and not fakes) and it's a competitive world out there, so let's celebrate the differences, and exploit them to the hilt.

David
Old 5th May 2019, 6:29 am   #87
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

We have a rich variety of different devices available to us (If you can get real ones and not fakes) and it's a competitive world out there, so let's celebrate the differences, and exploit them to the hilt.

David
That is exactly why I abandoned the triode section of the ECH83 for an MPF102 jFet for the local oscillator in my EF98-OC16 radio when I discovered that the triode section of the ECH83 was no chop above 12MHz. Of course if it was just an MW band radio, I would never have known.
Closed Thread