UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2006, 6:58 pm   #1
Nostaticatall
Tetrode

Default 'The Editor' tape recorder

One of my yet to start projects (along with far too many others) is a restoration of an early tape recorder known as 'The Editor'. Looking through old magazines shows these being sold in the fifties through a mail order company. There were several versions and this looks like an early 50s one - they got a little less 'prototype' looking later on! The deck is a three motor job with a heavy cast flywheel and a pinch roller you have to engage manually. The whole deck is assembled on a piece of laminated chipboard. Erase and Rec/Play heads are by Lane and in cast alloy pots. I remember my father buying it secondhand and in need of repair in the early - mid sixties and he paid a pound for it! It's probably not worth that much more today but it is a curious piece of history, representing the kind of product that was sold to satisfy a boom market at the time and when a top consumer brand like Grundig could only be considered by the 'well off'

Has anyone come across one of these or remembers them? I'll post some pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 30th Jan 2006, 11:26 pm   #2
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Default Re: 'The Editor' tape recorder

Hello, always interested to see some pics, it soulnd like my Truvox

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=7052

Must admit I have not heard of this machine and would be very interested seeing it.
Old 30th Jan 2006, 11:28 pm   #3
reelguy
Heptode

Yes , I would like to see a couple of pics of your recorder. Seeing them may jog my memory {Almost nonexistent now } The name "Editor" sounds familiar though.Can you show pics of the underside as well if possible.. I like the older recorders and wouldnt mind the little "Sound Belle" on Ebay at present.Also I would like a "Elpico Geloso", Every time I bid on one it goes for more than I can afford Or want to pay!! Peter [Reelguy}
Old 31st Jan 2006, 3:01 am   #4
KB-KR20
Triode

Hi,
Is it either of these?

Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	editor1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	2634   Click image for larger version

Name:	editor2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	2635  
Old 31st Jan 2006, 9:07 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostaticatall
One of my yet to start projects (along with far too many others) is a restoration of an early tape recorder known as 'The Editor'. Looking through old magazines shows these being sold in the fifties through a mail order company. There were several versions and this looks like an early 50s one - they got a little less 'prototype' looking later on! The deck is a three motor job with a heavy cast flywheel and a pinch roller you have to engage manually. The whole deck is assembled on a piece of laminated chipboard. Erase and Rec/Play heads are by Lane and in cast alloy pots. I remember my father buying it secondhand and in need of repair in the early - mid sixties and he paid a pound for it! It's probably not worth that much more today but it is a curious piece of history, representing the kind of product that was sold to satisfy a boom market at the time and when a top consumer brand like Grundig could only be considered by the 'well off'

Has anyone come across one of these or remembers them? I'll post some pictures if anyone is interested.
Yes - I remember it well. We had a few in the pile where I worked in a shop in Leigh - the proprietor dusted them down and put them up for sale at the original price, and marked 'new'! They were from the late 1950s , IIRC, and I was there in the mid 60s! Needless to say no-one bought them.

I found the construction quite unbelievable! The flywheel was a big lu,p of brass and probably worth more in scrap value.
Old 31st Jan 2006, 9:59 am   #6
Nostaticatall
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB-KR20
Hi,
Is it either of these?

Mick
Yes it is the first one (1954). Absolutely marvellous - I hadn't banked on there being any service dope around for these. It never occured to me that there might be an ERT sheet. Thanks Mick!
Old 31st Jan 2006, 10:01 am   #7
Nostaticatall
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel-to-reel-man

Must admit I have not heard of this machine and would be very interested seeing it.
I'll post some pictures in the next day or two
Steve
Old 31st Jan 2006, 10:03 am   #8
Nostaticatall
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy
Yes , I would like to see a couple of pics of your recorder. Seeing them may jog my memory {Almost nonexistent now } The name "Editor" sounds familiar though.Can you show pics of the underside as well if possible.. I like the older recorders and wouldnt mind the little "Sound Belle" on Ebay at present.Also I would like a "Elpico Geloso", Every time I bid on one it goes for more than I can afford Or want to pay!! Peter [Reelguy}
I'll take some detailed shots and post them soon
Steve
Old 31st Jan 2006, 2:18 pm   #9
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

The recorder does look very interesting from the ales literature, it would be nice to see some inside pics as well.
Old 31st Jan 2006, 7:01 pm   #10
KB-KR20
Triode

Steve,
You have a PM.
Mick
Old 31st Jan 2006, 8:20 pm   #11
Nostaticatall
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan
I found the construction quite unbelievable! The flywheel was a big lu,p of brass and probably worth more in scrap value.
Interesting stuff Mike - I bet you wish that you had bought them all yourself with hindsight!

The steel frame that the two chassis and the top deck bolt to means that the outer wooden case is just the cladding and unstressed. It might have been a 'utility' product but some good engineering went into its construction
Steve
Old 31st Jan 2006, 8:33 pm   #12
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostaticatall
Interesting stuff Mike - I bet you wish that you had bought them all yourself with hindsight!

Steve
Hi Steve
If I had, I could have retired! There were a few Walters as well - nowt special, but I quite liked them. Better than the Fidelity et al and all the other cheapies with BSR decks.
The Editors I dealt with had a lot of bits of bent wire on the brake mechanism - like an American striking clock!
I suspect these were the later ones that Mick has the sheet for.
Old 31st Jan 2006, 8:38 pm   #13
Nostaticatall
Tetrode

Here are some photographs of "The Editor" tape recorder. It's quite grubby but will clean up quite nicely - a bit like a Formica work surface really! I have all the knobs and the pinch roller kept in a safe place - I just need to remember where that safe place was. The same goes for the microphone.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Editor1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Editor2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	2639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Editor3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Editor4.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	2641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Editor5.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	2642  

Old 1st Feb 2006, 7:05 am   #14
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Does this machine not have a pinch roller?
Old 2nd Feb 2006, 4:36 pm   #15
reelguy
Heptode

Laminated Chipboard for the deck!. Haven't come across that before, but it seems to have lasted well. Hope you get it going ok. I assume you have tapes to try on it? Peter {Reelguy}
Old 4th Feb 2006, 10:40 am   #16
Nostaticatall
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy
Laminated Chipboard for the deck!. Haven't come across that before, but it seems to have lasted well. Hope you get it going ok. I assume you have tapes to try on it? Peter {Reelguy}
Looking forward to getting it up and running! I have quite a few tapes but scouting around for empty reels (I've just bid for a couple on eBay). Some of the tapes I have were actually recorded on by this machine in the 60s so that'll make interesting listening. I'll report back when it comes to life!
Steve
Old 18th Feb 2006, 9:11 pm   #17
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: 'The Editor' tape recorder

Hi Steve,

I Had one of the Editors as your pic. (original) back in the early 50's, spent more time repairing/modifying than using, best of luck, at least will keep you warm in Winter.

Doffery
Old 18th Feb 2006, 11:25 pm   #18
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

I forgot ! I was going to send a PM to you as I saw one of these going for sale...somewhere... it was in real nice condition, don't know if it sold though and have not been able to trace it nut where you have the two audio connectors at the top of the machine there should be a chrome ring, shame about the chipped surface.
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 10:20 pm   #19
Michael Maurice

Looks like the motors were made by Collaro, they'll probably need stripping down and relubricating
Closed Thread