UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2019, 9:53 pm   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Sony broadcast monitor degaussing.

Hi all,

I hope this is in the right section, mods please move if necessary.

I have a Sony broadcast monitor that I occasionally drag out for testing vcr’s etc. Been renovating a Philips N1700 for a friend and we did a composite video mod on it the other day so out came the monitor. Picture was there but colour blotches all over, was a bit confused at first then it dawned on me. Checked where the monitor has been sitting for the past few months - right next to a pair of bookshelf speakers that have faulty tweeters.

Left it until tonight and as I’m lacking a degaussing wand just spent an hour with a powerful permanent magnet and an electric drill. It’s not perfect but just passable for testing purposes. Beware what you keep near CRT’s!

Cheers,

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95B3D154-971A-4B74-905E-E2D9ACF2AB9A.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	180221   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8E36474-0E60-4C55-BD93-B0BED9B7AD5C.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	180222  
Old 19th Mar 2019, 11:36 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony broadcast monitor degaussing.

Does its own degassing circuit work? sometimes the thermistor or posistor will go OC during operation leaving the CRT magnetised.

Usually speakers in enclosures do not magnetise the tube to an extent that the internal degassing coils can't deal with.
Old 19th Mar 2019, 11:46 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

You need to allow the thermistor to fully cool down after moving the set.
If you have a pistol type quick warm up soldering iron it will work like a wand.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 1:44 am   #4
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Could well be a fault with the degaussing circuit then, I’ll take another look at it! Unfortunately I don’t have one of the pistol soldering guns or anything else that can generate a decent magnetic field - the drill was the best thing to hand.

I know a lot of PC CRT monitors had a degauss button or menu option and would have thought broadcasts monitors would too but maybe not, or do I have an oddball one?!?
Old 20th Mar 2019, 10:11 am   #5
red16v
Heptode

What model is it? Sony broadcast monitors usually make quite a loud 'thump' when the degauss coils are activated and there's no mistaking they are working - the picture being grossly distorted too when they are working being another clue.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 11:46 am   #6
mhennessy
Dekatron

If that's the one I think it is, the degauss energy actually comes from the line output stage IIRC. It can't come from the mains because it has the option to run from batteries. As a result, it's pretty silent in operation.

Then again, the one I'm thinking of has a front panel degauss button. So perhaps this is a different one - it's really hard to be sure from the photo.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 12:47 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Just a guess, if it's a PVM-9L2 Elektrotanya has the service manual which gives the details of the degauss driver circuitry.

Lawrence.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 1:30 pm   #8
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
If that's the one I think it is, the degauss energy actually comes from the line output stage IIRC. It can't come from the mains because it has the option to run from batteries. As a result, it's pretty silent in operation.

Then again, the one I'm thinking of has a front panel degauss button. So perhaps this is a different one - it's really hard to be sure from the photo.
Yes, it has slots for a couple of batteries, not sure of the model number but will check later on. Thanks!
Old 20th Mar 2019, 1:57 pm   #9
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Just a guess, if it's a PVM-9L2
No, that one has too many buttons...

My first thought was PVM-9042 or 9045, but those have 8 buttons (including a manual degauss) and a grey power switch.

This monitor appears to have only 6 buttons, and there is no manual degauss button. Plus the power switch is green. That makes it more likely a PVM-9044: https://www.adverts.ie/film-cameras/...d-case/8879189

All nice monitors, especially the HR versions.

EDIT: Looking again, it's not the HR version. So, I'll revise my guess. The standard-res version of the PVM-9044 is the PVM-9041: https://vandiemenbroadcast.co.uk/Sony-PVM9041-Monitor

Last edited by mhennessy; 20th Mar 2019 at 2:06 pm.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 2:36 pm   #10
ms660
Dekatron

Here's another manual:

https://archive.org/details/sony_PVM...nual/page/n155

Lawrence.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 6:21 pm   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have a PVM-9044 (lovely little monitor). The service manual (which I think I got from Elektrotanya) shows that the degaussing coil is fed from the 120V DC line (obtained from the line ouput transformer) by a rather odd transistor/thyristor circuit. This is on the 'P board' (the board containing the line output transformer, located under the CRT).

Since the monitor works in other respects the 120V line must be present. So perhaps that transistor and thyristor is a place to start looking. On the other hand I don't remember my monitor making any deguassing 'clonk' at power-on.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 6:57 pm   #12
mhennessy
Dekatron

It works by "ringing" the inductance of the degauss coils with a capacitor. The thyristor provides a pulse to start it off after a short delay.

The later 9042/5 use a very similar arrangement, but have an additional relay to allow the process to be started again by the front panel button. That one is fed from 400V derived from the collector of the line output transistor rather than the 120V line.

Next time I take one apart, I'll see about capturing the waveform on my DSO.

Neat, because there's no need for a posistor, with all their problems. But plenty else to go wrong...
Old 20th Mar 2019, 7:02 pm   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I thought it had to 'ring' the coils. You need an oscillating, decaying field which is what ringing would produce. And there is no oscillator circuit.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 7:24 pm   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Could be faulty posistor or even a dry joint on same.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 7:48 pm   #15
mhennessy
Dekatron

Ah, but there is no posistor
Old 20th Mar 2019, 7:49 pm   #16
julie_m
Dekatron

Connecting an already-charged capacitor across a coil will produce ringing. If there is a big resistor from HT+ to the junction of L and C, then earthing that point will set it ringing.

..... Are you sure it is a thyristor and not a triac? Or is there a diode back-to-back with it? (There's no need for a way to control the current in the opposite direction to the switch.)
Old 20th Mar 2019, 8:57 pm   #17
ms660
Dekatron

If this link works it should take you to the relevant page showing the degauss circuit under discussion:

https://archive.org/details/sony_PVM...nual/page/n155

Lawrence.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 9:54 pm   #18
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Hi all,

Model is PVM-9041QM. Thanks to Lawrence for the link to the manual, the degauss circuit does look rather odd. I will investigate further in the future, it’s acceptable enough for now but I agree there must be a fault somewhere. Thanks for everybody’s input on this one ��

Cheers,

Kev
Old 21st Mar 2019, 2:07 am   #19
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
PVM-9041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun_uk View Post
Model is PVM-9041QM
Think I'll buy a lottery ticket before the weekend
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 12:56 pm   #20
Studio263
Octode

Its not unknown for the scan coils to slip back down the tube neck on these, messing up the purity. Check that the end of the coils is firmly up against the bowl of the tube and that there's no movement there. If the yoke has moved, undo the clamp and push the coils as far forward as they will go, the purity then should sort itself out.
Closed Thread