UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2019, 6:05 pm   #1
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default FDK Multi-2000 known issues?

Bit of a long shot, but is anyone aware of any known faults and issues with the FDK Multi-2000?

I was given one of these and plan on restoring it to a usable condition. Its one heck of a beast of a 2m 10W multimode transceiver, weighs a ton due to being dual AC/DC (240/13.8v) capable, and has a rather curios combination of synthesiser and VXO for FM!

Initial testing shows it's got a few problems. It's a bit deaf (there's a homebrew pre-amp in it that might have had it), output power is only about 1.7W, so the final transistor might have gone for a duck, and the VXO doesnt seem to be working. Other than that it's cosmetic stuff, noisy volume pot, failed dial bulbs etc. Oh and for some reason the power switch works but doesn't turn the set on! (had to bypass it and connect direct to the big reservoir cap!)

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 19th Mar 2019, 9:10 am   #2
sentinel040
Hexode

Location: Near Lichfield, Staffordshire, UK, most of the time and Crystal Palace, S London, some of the time..
Default Re: FDK Multi-2000 known issues?

I bought one of these second hand in the very late ‘70s and eventually disposed of it in the early ‘80s. As I recall it had many faults, dry joints, dry joints, dry joints and dry joints. Spot the pattern here? A couple of years later a bought a second hand Ham Master HM 2010, which is a badge engineered Multi 3000. I still have that, so they cannot all be bad.
At home I think I still have the 2000 manual, also noted on- line, if you are stuck.
Regards
Ian
Old 19th Mar 2019, 11:49 am   #3
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default Re: FDK Multi-2000 known issues?

I have the manual, pull off the 'net, thanks,

Yes dry joints are to be expected i think. The fact it is working, just not to spec, is more than i'd hoped for!

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Closed Thread