UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2019, 9:23 pm   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default Avo 8 or 8 mkIII

Just seen an interesting case on our local auction site (trademe.co.nz). There is an Avo with a round circle just above the cutout with only and 8 engraved in it. Also the meter scale itself says on the bottom right hand side Model 8.

However on the back of the case the instruction appear to say Model 8 mk III quite clearly. Now all the 8mkIII's I've seen previously had this engraved on the front of the case (where the 8 is in this case).

Sadly the going rate (S50), and the fact I have 45 or so Avos already, stops me bidding but can anyone throw any light on these 2 different model numbers on the same case
Old 16th Mar 2019, 10:00 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Avo 8 or 8 mkIII

Yep, the instruction plate is detachable after the centre foot is unscrewed- i guess some got scratched/damaged over the years and this example might have had a replacement from elsewhere.

There was some variation in the print (or lack of it) in the circular cartouche you mention just above the cut-out. For no apparent reason!

Dave
Closed Thread