UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2015, 7:58 pm   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default Collectaholics series 2 episode 3 BBC

There was some interesting early recording equipment demonstrated in this program. Available on iplayer.
Old 10th Apr 2015, 9:32 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Collectaholics series 2 episode 3 BBC

I watched that programme, but missed seeing in full the bit with early recording equipment, though I did see them making a recording on a cylinder. What was the other recording item? It looked like a conventional record player playing a silvery disc! Incidentally is a collection of 75000+ CDs a record? (pun intended!!)
Old 10th Apr 2015, 10:18 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Collectaholics series 2 episode 3 BBC

Hi,
It was a disc recorder and the owner was using a discarded CD as a blank and cutting a groove into it.
Couldn't get my head around the guy collecting 75,000 plus CDs for the sake of it.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 11th Apr 2015, 7:14 am   #4
terrybull
Octode

There was an Edison wax cylinder recorder demonstrated too. No electrics, purely mechanical. Worked quite well, better than I imagined.
Old 11th Apr 2015, 7:48 am   #5
Cobaltblue

Very interesting but a bit surprised that the PYE Record Maker didn't put in an appearance.

Perhaps because although it uses a grooved disc its a magnetic recorder so not a direct descendent of Edison's phonograph

I think I enjoyed seeing the drum collection most of all.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 15th Apr 2015, 10:27 pm   #6
paul.brett
Tetrode

Series 2 Episode 6 - has a guy with 1000 vintage machines (mostly computers) spread across 4 barns.

Available now on BBC iPlayer. Enjoy!
Old 16th Apr 2015, 8:20 am   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Does anyone know the guy with the computers? I would love to have an opportunity to view his collection, especially as it sounded as though he could use some help with getting some of them working.

By the way, I thought the description of the National Museum of Computing being in Milton Keynes was a little misleading, given that it's a few miles away at Bletchley Park.
Old 16th Apr 2015, 11:30 am   #8
RF Burn
Hexode

Dave, I think you might be getting confused with Milton Keynes 'City Centre'. Bletchley Park is located at Bletchley, which is a 'suburb' of the city of Milton Keynes.
Old 16th Apr 2015, 1:24 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I thought the CD and Computer episodes had a particular interest. Those of us on Forums like this can perhaps identify with the collectors taking part more readily than the general viewing audience but there are very extreme examples shown. Although the title is a little clumsy at least they haven't conflated collecting "mania" with extreme hoarding situations-as has happened in other programmes.

Even though the same general processes can be at work, getting overwhelmed with your [perhaps relatively ordered/potentially useable] collection is [I suggest] not the same as a completely insanitary, domestic breakdown where your living space is choked with your own and [sometimes other peoples] domestic rubbish. I've only got personal experience of the former but I have witnessed the latter. I think it's close to "home" for many of us as the many threads on a "What will I do with all this stuff?" theme indicate
Dave W
Old 16th Apr 2015, 2:27 pm   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

I have no doubt that fashions will change again in future, and it will be the compulsive throwers-out who are seen as the freaks. It's fashionable nowadays to say Look at me, I'm so rich, this is what I can afford to throw away. As the era of cheap energy and cheap labour comes to an end, things won't remain cheap enough to regard as effectively disposable forever .....
Old 16th Apr 2015, 4:27 pm   #11
richrussell
Heptode

Jim with the computers is a good friend of a good friend of mine. I got a text message just as the programme started to remind me to watch it. I've never met or spoken to him though.
Old 16th Apr 2015, 6:50 pm   #12
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Thanks for the heads-up about the computer section.

In terms of sheer variety and quantity that collection may very well surpass any single collection in the public domain (or publicly accessable). Good to see that there are some willing helpers around who know what the stuff is, as well. It's a dilemma all collectors must ultimately consider: What will happen to my stuff if something happens to me? Will anyone know what all this stuff is? Will anyone care?

I was especially interested in spotting the various home computers (because those are the ones I know). There were the obvious Acorn models and maybe a couple of Amigas, a couple of early Macs but I didn't spot anything by Atari or Sinclair. Maybe his interest lies more to the commercial / business computer side (the BBC B was used in many an educational / scientific establishment, so that counts).
Old 16th Apr 2015, 6:56 pm   #13
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Jim Austin has a computer museum near York, I guess this is the guy. Sorry no contact information. This was found with the help of our friend Google.
John.
Old 16th Apr 2015, 7:02 pm   #14
Dave Moll
Dekatron

One thing I did recognise amongst the business computing equipment was a terminal used to communicate with the IBM mainframes on which I used to work. Presumably, he didn't have the computer itself as it would hardly have fitted into his "sheds".
Old 17th Apr 2015, 10:21 am   #15
richrussell
Heptode

Jim also has quite a lot of vintage radios and a large number of valves. I'm sure he would be interested in any offers of help in restoration.
Closed Thread