UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2011, 11:12 pm   #21
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: Bush TV63

These projects are coming thick and fast now Josh . A nice result though.
Old 7th Jan 2011, 11:22 pm   #22
JoshWard
Octode

Indeed, this is precisely why I put the Ekco U243 to one side... I can now crack on with other projects and my enthusiasm has come back as well. Two radios and one telly done in four days (well the radios in two evenings as I'm now back at school, just as I'm working on stuff again ).

I will put another picture up when it's running in my room. Sadly I don't think I have room for any more tellies once the other two are done, unless I relocate all the radios to a workshop display....

Josh.
Old 7th Jan 2011, 11:33 pm   #23
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Sadly I don't think I have room for any more tellies once the other two are done, unless I relocate all the radios to a workshop display....
Build another shed, it worked for me, but i now have two more tellys, a radiogram & the radio count has gone up by three, all in the last three weeks

Mark
Old 7th Jan 2011, 11:35 pm   #24
JoshWard
Octode

Well I've already colonised half the summer house (it's winter so theoretically noone else will use it...) and the shelves in my dad's workshop
Old 10th Jan 2011, 6:37 pm   #25
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Hi JoshWard were do you buy your caps? I could do with the cheaper ones i keep spending a fortune on them. I see your my age finally i've found someone of my generation interested in vintage tv and radio

Regards Scott
Old 10th Jan 2011, 6:51 pm   #26
JoshWard
Octode

Hi Scott,

Nice to see someone else as well

I get these capacitors, cheap and work well!

The little yellow axial ones are pretty but very expensive.

Josh.
Old 10th Jan 2011, 10:24 pm   #27
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Oh you can get a few more tellies in... I like to play a game of how many tellies you can stack being as i've got no room for them, the house is full, i even have a go at it with radio's a few cossors, a pye... the list goes on.

Good job on that set! i'd love one like that, the late 40's type just don't appeal to me any more. I'll be using my HMV 1910 as my main tellie soon! ( if i missed the NVCF i'd be able to get an aurora but i can't let that happen )
hope you have fun with it, i think i'll have a go at one, (when i can find one)
thanks
Old 11th Jan 2011, 12:11 am   #28
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Congratulations - that's a rare find at that price!

There's something you haven't mentioned and, as you are obviously going to use it a lot, something to watch out for.

The tubes were a magnet for dust if you didn't carry out a few simple precautions.

You need some self adhesive foam draft excluder - I assume you can still get it - it wouldn't surprise me if it virtually doubled your outlay!

All trace of the old stuff must be removed from the mask (I assume you did that when you polished the glass, etc.) and carefully replaced with new strip, taking care not to leave any gaps at the corners.

There is also a small gap where the ends of the inner wrap-round bit of the mask meet - make sure that you cover this well with wide tape.

Properly sealed, you won't get any problems but, leave a tiny crack anywhere and it will come back to haunt you!

I don't recall any other set of the period that you had to be so careful with - and this one had a long run, being essentially identical to the previous TV53 series with a darker veneer on the cabinet and other trim variations.

A tip for you, if you don't already know it - when reconnecting the field scan coils they can fit either way round. The secret is in the colours: just remember "Green to Screen ..." - if you can still see the difference, of course!
Old 11th Jan 2011, 12:41 am   #29
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi Josh,
Well done, I'm sure you'll get much pleasure from it.
Des.
Old 11th Jan 2011, 7:53 am   #30
JoshWard
Octode

Hi Terry, I haven't taken the tube out (I still have a little bit of CRT phobia ) Seeing as the tube is undisturbed, hopefully there shouldn't be too many dust problems as there currently is no dust visible behind the safety glass.

Thanks Des, I sure will
Old 11th Jan 2011, 8:50 am   #31
Mikey405
Octode

Well done Josh. That looks like a corker. Much better than my TV56 which is a bit tempermental and grouchy.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 11th Jan 2011, 9:54 pm   #32
terrykc
Rest in Peace

[QUOTE=JoshWard;396398... Seeing as the tube is undisturbed, hopefully there shouldn't be too many dust problems as there currently is no dust visible behind the safety glass ... [/QUOTE]
Hi Josh, I'm pleased to tell you that you won't have any dust problems! I assumed from your description that you'd cleaned both sides of the implosion screen and, therefore, disturbed the seal.

Provided that the tube/mask/glass sealing was done correctly the last time it was disturbed, there shouldn't be any problems, though I must admit that I have no evidence of this lasting up to a possible 50 odd years! (It depends when the CRT was last removed/changed!)
Old 11th Jan 2011, 10:08 pm   #33
JoshWard
Octode

Thanks Mike

Temperamental and grouchy?
Sounds a bit like myself....
Closed Thread