UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2019, 4:47 pm   #1
pletevl
Triode

Default Yamaha amp CA400 hissing

Hi all,

My YAMAHA CA400 amp has started hissing on the left chanel on all sources. It isn't lound and it doesn't change with the volume control. Even with the volume on zero, it hisses.
The sound and volume is fine, no other problems, just this left chanel hiss.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Pete.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 9:27 pm   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Yamaha amp CA400 hissing

Faulty transistors or integrated circuits can introduce a hissing noise.

The faulty transistor / IC can sometimes be identified by spraying it with a 'freezer' spray.
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 8:50 am   #3
tri-comp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon View Post
The faulty transistor / IC can sometimes be identified by spraying it with a 'freezer' spray.
Sparringly spraying on top of transistors, one at the time, allowing for the freeze-spray to evaporate and cool down the item, before moving on to the next, may very well send the culprit out in the open.
I would start out with transistors TR705/TR707 or TR706/TR708 (all 2SA763WL) according to channel, as they are the most likely to introduce this kind of noise.
Keep a hand on the power-switch when spraying.
I've seen violent reactions to freeze-spray on partially defective semiconductors.
This amplifier has NO speaker protection-circuit. If any of the mentioned transistors should decide to go bang during the freeze-test, so will your speakers.
Use a headphone during the test instead as at least it will be in series with a 270-Ohm resistor from the speaker-terminals.
If inded you track the fault to any or more of the mentioned transistors I would replace all of them.
-
There's a so-so quality schematic diagram of this amplifier circulating the web. If you would like a higher quality specimen, send me a PM with your e-mail address. Be sure your mail-box will recieve an attachment around 13Mb in size.

Rgds,

/Torben
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 11:31 am   #4
pletevl
Triode

Torben. You seem to know this amp. Pm sent with my email address. Thank you.
Pete.
Closed Thread