UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2006, 10:29 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Hacker RP73 Autocrat Mk2

Hello,

Three radios arrived from Pauls £5 sale today, including a Hacker Autocrat Mk2. Ive had another scruffy Hacker RP73 sitting in my pile for ages so I acquired Pauls as a donor in the hope of making one excellent radio out of the two. The one I had had a rusty handle and no feet and a scruffy grille but was otherwise very good. Pauls had a excellent handle and grille and had its feet but was otherwise even scruffier with a chunk missing from the top of the teak side panel.
The chassis on these come out after removal of the handle, a chrome plated self tapping screw either side holds that in place. I then disconnected the speaker cables and and power supply and the whole chassis then comes away. I then removed the grilles, easy enough once the speaker is removed, by lifting up the six tabs holding it in place. Once stripped, I cleaned the better case, tuning scale, handle and grille in upholstery cleaner and all came up really nice. I also polished the mahogany side panels with Topps polish which disguised one or two small scratches successfully. I then reassembled one radio and switched it on ... the amp was working but no reception so I cleaned the wavechange switches and away she went. However I noticed an unpleasant buzzing sound when the volume was turned up, so I checked the tightness of the chassis and grille, they were OK, so I checked the loudspeaker to find that that had a split about two inches long around the end Not to worry I had a spare from the donor radio so that went in and then she sounded fine

So at last this old Hacker is finished. These Autocrats are nicely built and sound very good for a MW/LW radio but I noticed that its medium waveband is truncated at 200 metres so I cant receive County Sound on 192 Condition wise the radio has one or two small bumps in the mahogany side panels but is otherwise mint, and it is a welcome addition to my collection .

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HackerRP73AutocratMk2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	2802  

Last edited by howard; 16th Feb 2006 at 10:36 pm.
Old 16th Feb 2006, 10:56 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Hacker RP73 Autocrat Mk2

Excellent work, as usual! I'm pleased my set provided all the bits you needed to finish off yours so nicely. A good example of making one set out of two.

You could probably put all the scruffy bits together to make a complete set, and sell it on eBay.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 16th Feb 2006, 11:18 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Hacker RP73 Autocrat Mk2

Hello Paul,

Nah, I wont sell it on eBay, not with that amount of damage to the side panel and without a speaker. As the spare chassis works OK I may well look out for another RP73 with a decent case but is not working, one with teak end panels as both the good ones in my collection have mahogany panels.

Howard
Closed Thread