UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2006, 2:48 am   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Restoration of an Ekco B86.

Just before Christmas I completed the restoration of an Ekco B86 battery table radio. Thanks to the employment of a double pentode output valve this radio receiver can offer performance approaching that of a mains radio.
The set was found in poor condition.The chassis was rusty and all the valves were missing.
The first task was to remove all the components from the chassis derust it and paint it in Ford dove grey.
The original Mazda valve line-up was, TP25 frequency changer, VP215 IF amplifier, L21DD leaky grid detector and AVC diode. The output valve was a QP240. Two Mazda valves were found, a TP25 and a QP240. A Marconi W21 was chosen as the replacement for the VP215 and for the L21DD a Mullard TDD2A was pressed into service.
The set was easy enough to get going but I did have problems lining up the bandpass front end. The B86 operates with a low IF frequency of 130Kc/s so a selective front end is required to overcome image interference.
A clever feature of this radio is the amplified AVC system. The triode section of the L21DD acts as a leaky grid detector and the IF component present at the anode is rectified by one of the diodes. The arrangement works well.
For the power supply I use a mains transformer removed from an old video recorder. The filament winding of the display device supplies 35 volts and this added to the output from other windings will produce the required 120 volts HT when a voltage doubler is employed. Other secondary windings are used to supply grid bias and the 2volt filament supply. An LM317 regulator takes care of the latter.

So although I'm having no success with the Decca CTV25 here one restoration project that really was worthwhile.

DFWB.
Old 30th Jan 2006, 11:46 am   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Restoration of an Ekco B86.

The Ekco B86 battery table set.

DFWB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B86.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	2629  
Old 30th Jan 2006, 1:48 pm   #3
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Well done

Looks like a very nice set, I didn't realise they did a battery version with this cabinet,
Don't give up on the CTV25 though,

Best regards
Lee
Old 30th Jan 2006, 8:35 pm   #4
jay_oldstuff
Octode

wow i'm impressed that looks lovely
those old VCR transformers realy come in usefull a coupple of my battery sets have powerpacks made from them.
any chance of a chassis pic
Keep up the good work

Jay
Old 2nd Feb 2006, 11:42 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Here are a couple of pictures of the chassis.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B861.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2677   Click image for larger version

Name:	B862.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	2678  
Closed Thread