UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2018, 11:34 am   #1
Phone_Novice
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bell-Set 50C convert to VOIP?

I'm a total novice and I have joined this forum just to ask a question.

I own a vintage Bell-Set 50C which I am looking to connect to my VirginMedia router so that it rings when I receive VOIP calls. I tried connecting an RJ11 cable from the router to the bellset, however I cannot get it to ring (so far I have connected the green and black RJ11 cables to B8 & B2 respectively) but with no success.

If someone could give me some advice on wiring this up properly I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th Dec 2018, 12:23 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Bell-Set 50C convert to VOIP?

I don't think you going to be able to connect your bellset directly to your router as these are using somewhat different technologies (one analogue and one digital). What you need in between is an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA).

edit: there are others on this forum who will be able to advise you better than I can about the intricacies of using an ATA
Old 15th Dec 2018, 6:12 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Has your Virgin Media router got an FXS port? In that case the bell could be connected direct to the FXS port. Most FXS ports on routers have an RJ11 (American) type socket which uses the inner two conductors in the lead plus you'd need a capacitor in series with the bell.

If no FXS port, as Dave says, you'll need an Analogue Terminal Adapter (from £15 upwards on eBay) . Note that most ATAs will only accept DTMF (Touch Tone) dialling for outgoing calls. Again they all have RTJ11 sockets on their FXS ports - an FXS port gives out the same conditions as a normal 'landline' . There re adapters to convert from the RJ11 to a BT type socket on Fleabay. Check they have the capacitor in.

Some of us have been using ATAs for nearly 15 years on a telephone network run for collectors of old phones which uses the old trunk dialling codes - London is still 01 xxx xxxx , Leeds 0532 etc and International is still 010 plus the Country Code and their old dialling code. Network stretches into over twenty countries and the best thing is that their is no line rental or call charges ! All you need it an ATA and a number of your choice setting up for yourself! If interested PM me for more details.
Old 15th Dec 2018, 7:14 pm   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

You need to connect the inner two cores of the RJ11 lead to terminals B4 and B8. Also check that there's a 'strap' (flat piece of metal) between B2 and B3.

My Virgin Hub has VOIP ports on but they don't do anything—when it was issued they said they were for future use. Maybe you're on a different deal to me or in some sort of pilot-area.
Old 15th Dec 2018, 8:19 pm   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

The version with RJ 11 plugs should have dial tone if you plug in a phone, if so it is hope for the ringer. The ring signal will probably have less juice than a regular phone line so it may just be a weak ring signal. I am not familiar with 50C but the circuit has to go trough the capacitor, not bypass it as it does in a master/slave socket system.

dsk
Old 15th Dec 2018, 9:14 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, The latest Virgin media routers are fitted with two RJ11 ports for use in "fibre to home" (21CV) areas where the fibre is run from the street cabinet (V hub) to the customer premise and then converted to copper either just outside or just inside the property, unlike the existing older HFC network which uses a coaxial feed, for the broadband and CATV, and twisted pair for the telephone service, from the primary node then via seperate street cabinets and onwards to the customers property.

You won't be able to get a bell to ring on your VOIP lines connected to a telephony port on a Virgin super hub 3 as all the programming is done remotely and is intended to act as a POTS line as far as the customer is concerned.

If you have your own seperate VOIP providers such as Sipgate or Vonage you will have to invest in a seprate ATA such as a Linksys PAP2 or Grandstream HT502 to achieve what I think you are trying to do

Regards

Andrew
Old 17th Dec 2018, 1:29 pm   #7
brunel
Heptode

To attempt to avoid confusion. On any new install, Virgin supply a voip system only. This applies to cable as well as FTTP.

Of course you do have to have the full telephone service enabled.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 2:03 pm   #8
brunel
Heptode

Also, the Virgin voip system will function with pulse dialling.

Use an ADSL filter to provide ring voltage.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 3:16 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

From looking at Bob Freshwater's site, it appears that the 50C includes a ringing capacitor.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 5:55 pm   #10
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

It might include it, but it might not have been wired in circuit
Old 17th Dec 2018, 7:45 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

My point was that the capacitor should be wired in rather than requiring the use of an external one in an ADSL filter. Perhaps I should have spelt this out more clearly.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 10:24 pm   #12
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunel View Post
To attempt to avoid confusion. On any new install, Virgin supply a voip system only. This applies to cable as well as FTTP....
Virgin supply VOIP on all FTTP installs (they don't really have a choice there lol) but only supply VOIP on some new installs in HFC areas.

A large majority of the Teesside area in which I work still provides the telephony service via twisted pair on the HFC network, although there are a few small pockets where VOIP is provided when the telephony is up to capacity on the HFC network.

Regards

Andrew
Closed Thread