UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2018, 9:36 pm   #1
Scimitar
Heptode

Default We have been doing it all wrong!

This is from a tutorial in a Railway Modelling magazine, intending to show how simple electronics soldering really is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	173347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	173348  
Old 24th Nov 2018, 10:01 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: We have been doing it all wrong!

Crickey - where do we start !

"I wouldn't do it like that"

Probably the worst bit is putting vinegar onto the finished article
Old 24th Nov 2018, 10:11 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Sounds like a "how to" using plain solder wire rather than flux cored electrical/electronic solder, which is confusing given the mention of flux cored (rosin not resin?) solder in the stand out pane of the first page. Whether vinegar is bad news or not I guess depends on what's in that flux container they show, but a further rinse with meths wouldn't go amiss.

Cleaning flux off is a good idea if it's an active type, but not necessary (except perhaps for appearance) with the usual cored electrical older types.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Nov 2018, 4:01 pm   #4
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Vinegar is probably a good thing , but only if you're soldering chips!

Seriously though, as Herald 1360 says, a final clean-off with a good solvent is a good idea if one is using "tinned" flux as distinct from cored solder.
I had some old flux in a tin, ('Rosinal', made about 1935) and the tin had actually corroded away from the inside with the result that the remaining flux has had to be transferred to a plastic pot.
This ancient flux is kept solely because it is excellent for tin-work on chassis etc. Tony
Old 28th Nov 2018, 8:09 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

I've still got a tin of 'Coraline' flux, acquired during the early 1970s. Apart from its obvious and usual use, I find it very helpful in cleaning the bit of my soldering iron when it has become contaminated.

Al.
Old 28th Nov 2018, 9:24 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

I don’t see anything really bad.

Personally I use a chemtronics flux pen, 62/36/2 and clean off with isopropyl alcohol. Not much different!
Old 28th Nov 2018, 10:43 pm   #7
G4YVM David
Heptode

Well sweating a joint isn't a BAD practice. I imagine they are writing for total beginners who might not have the nouse to hold the parts and solder 'properly'. Given that's the readership, sweating might be foolproof first time round.

David
Old 28th Nov 2018, 10:54 pm   #8
Nymrod121
Nonode

It's a detailed description that's for sure; to what extent the details are accurate is clearly going to be hotly debated (around Weller mark 8, I'd guess).

I'll just solder on regardless ...
[grabs coat]

Guy
Old 29th Nov 2018, 4:51 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

I remember reading a piece in I think the now defunct US magazine "Electronics" about an electronics company who decided to investigate environmentally-friendly alternatives to some of the chemicals they were using, and discovered that ordinary bottled lemon juice made an excellent flux.
Closed Thread