UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2018, 7:50 am   #1
Rachwilko
Retired Dormant Member

Default Selection of old radios... no idea where to start

Here’s the first 2 radios/stereos with/without turntables of about 4 different ones available found in my granddads garage. Any ideas where I can find out more info. on what their typical resell value is, who or how best to sell them etc as he hasn’t used them in years and wants a de-clutter. He can’t use the internet very well so I said I would try and found out. He’s in the Gloucestershire area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29DF1FB0-A712-498E-9585-1FA274D2DD05.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	162274   Click image for larger version

Name:	2636547E-ADE0-46B6-90B6-F379444F53C3.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	162275   Click image for larger version

Name:	6ECE3939-82E4-4E52-BB91-2C558A1B0009.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	162276   Click image for larger version

Name:	047E7BF0-F155-49AA-AC50-B486B3109F78.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	162277  
Old 5th May 2018, 10:36 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Selection of old radios... no idea where to start

The mid-market Ferguson "Music Centre" (could not see the matching speakers?) may well sell better than the Sanyo Receiver. The Ferguson should be listed on ebay under "Vintage Record Players" and also "Radiograms". The Sanyo under "Vintage Hi Fi". If you can test them and they work, they will fetch more of course. As untested, they might each reach £30.00.
Old 5th May 2018, 10:53 am   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I wouldn't really describe those as old radios, but then everything had valves in it when I was in the trade. Old radios were those made in the '20s and '30s.

I am afraid there is a lot of that stuff still about so unless you have something of super high quality they are not worth a lot.

Peter
Old 5th May 2018, 11:24 am   #4
paulsherwin

I agree, they're not worth a lot. They will undoubtedly need some work after sitting in a garage for all this time, and both will be worth under £50 even after a full restoration.

Your best plan is to list them on eBay, collection only with a 99p start. Describe them honestly with as much detail as possible - model numbers etc. It's always possible that two people will want that particular model for some reason and the bids will build up. Even if they sell for 99p you will at least have got rid of them.
Old 5th May 2018, 5:21 pm   #5
mister valve
Hexode

I would also go along with what's been said.

By the look of them I would say they are from the mid 1970's / early 80's.

Music Centres became popular from the mid 1970's, combining 'Radio', 'Cassette Tape deck' & 'Gramophone Turntable' with a Stereo amplifier in one cabinet and two separate speakers. By the mid 1980's this combination had taken on a new twist by being 'stacked' either separately or as one big unit, in either a flour standing or table standing machine with sometimes two Cassette machines fitted but still with separate speakers.

The separate Radios/Amplifiers may well be part of a Hi-Fi setup consisting of separate Tape Deck and Gramophone Turntable units, which were generally considered more upmarket than the 'Music Centre' type combinations; and indeed may be from the early 1970's before the 'birth' of the 'Music Centre'.

I realise that to a younger person, the 1970's seems a lifetime away, but to old 'Dinosaurs' like me, its just a 'stones throw' away I remember it well !
Old 5th May 2018, 5:39 pm   #6
paulsherwin

The Sanyo receiver will be from the late 70s. There is some interest in Japanese receivers of this type and it will almost certainly sell, but it's not one of the sought after brands or models.
Old 7th May 2018, 10:14 pm   #7
dazaaa1
Retired Dormant Member

Sanyo is worth selling, 50/80 quid if it works. The music centre is only worth taking down the tip.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:11 am   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

A carefully worded listing, featuring "vinyl" and cassette may get interest, provided they both work as well as the radio appears to. Speakers?
How about the other two.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:42 am   #9
paulsherwin

The cassette deck in the music centre is likely to need new belts by now. It will involve some dismantling, though it isn't a difficult or expensive job.
Old 12th May 2018, 9:48 am   #10
qualityten
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazaaa1 View Post
Sanyo is worth selling, 50/80 quid if it works. The music centre is only worth taking down the tip.
The belt drive turntable on the music centre, or even just the cartridge and needle, are worth saving. Or donate the lot to a charity shop, rather than dumping it.
Closed Thread