UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 29th Jan 2019, 11:23 am   #1
M3VUV51
Pentode

Default Yaesu FT-290 MK1

Hi all I've just dug out my old 290, just noticed it only tunes in an upwards direction, anyone seen this before?

Cheers, M3VUV.
M3VUV51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2019, 11:49 am   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Yaesu FT-290 MK1

Possibly key pad switch if it has one sticking?Or I am totally wrong and it is tuned via a knob.

Tuning step switch causes issues.

There is a Yaseu forum that (www.whelan.me.uk/radio/mods290i.htm) might help.
Old 29th Jan 2019, 1:03 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'd be checking the outputs of the rotary-encoder first; I've had problems with these on Yaesu gear in the past (my old FT-2400 is on its third one....)
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2019, 1:19 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Nonode

I had a problem on a Kenwood TS50 where buttons not working on the front panel were due to a fault on the CW key socket, because one of the switches in the socket was essentially one more button on the keypad and it was stuck in the closed position and preventing the uP from scanning any of the other buttons while it waited for the 'button' in the CW key socket to be released.

However, only tuning in one direction would normally be a fault with the rotary encoder which is what the tuning control probably is. They are common enough, just getting one with exactly the same size / type of shaft and pin footprint could be a problem. With great care, you may be able to take the original encoder apart and fix it.

Edit: Tanuki beat me to it.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2019, 1:01 am   #5
M3VUV51
Pentode

May have a look at some point. TBH I hate these rigs ,total pigs to work on, total Yaesu under built junk!!
M3VUV51 is offline   Reply With Quote