UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2021, 1:45 am   #21
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Tape recorder for home recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
One oddity regarding the simplicity versus complexity issue is that a 3-motor deck is a lot simpler than a 1-motor deck.
The Tascam models I mentioned - 32, 34 and BR-20 - are all three motor decks.

For Revox I've only ever used the A77 and B77; never really liked the A77 (although I guessed it was of its time) and have heard horror stories about B77 faults. If I had the choice of a B77 or 32, I'd go for the 32 - and if the BR-20 was a third option the others wouldn't get a look-in
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 2:51 am   #22
Restoration73
Nonode

This is where the PR99 was better as the heads were totally accessible for editing.

The Teac X-2000M was 2 track but also had a 4 track replay head.

Sony made a TC-765 (4T) and TC-766 (2T) but these are rare.
Old 4th Jun 2021, 7:49 am   #23
Whaam68
Hexode

If you just wanted to dip a toe then replacement 3D printed cam sets are available for your 1710 on eBay from the states for £60. There is a really good video on YouTube that runs through cleaning and re greasing the mech which on mine was all it took to get all the control lever functions working properly so unless the cams are obviously physically falling apart I would give that a go?
Old 4th Jun 2021, 1:09 pm   #24
DMcMahon
Dekatron

One UK seller of 3D printed cams.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334022242...sAAOSw7tJfYNGp

I have no connection to the seller other than having purchased a set of these cams, still to evaluate them.

David
Old 5th Jun 2021, 7:27 pm   #25
crackle
Rest in Peace

Why do you need a tape recorder, just record tracks into audacity and add them into a multitrack file then edit.
I think my son used Reaper to do the final edits of the multitrack recording.
free to download you just have to put up with a nag screen.
Mike

Last edited by crackle; 5th Jun 2021 at 7:32 pm.
Old 9th Jun 2021, 6:09 am   #26
ricard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
One UK seller of 3D printed cams.
Interesting, if they're 3D printed that would mean plastic I'm assuming, yet they must still be strong enough, I would think they would be subjected to fairly heavy forces in use?

As for multitrack recording, I took the first plunge just before the new millenium and purchased a hard disk recorder, which were popular in those days. Five years ago or so I was in the market for an upgrade, but discovered computer based multitrack recording in the shape of Ardour running in Linux. My current multitrack setup is a 10 year old laptop running the Debian Linux distribution, coupled with a 16 channel soundcard/mixer from Edirol (Roland), which can basically handle as many tracks as you want. If you start getting heavily into plugins (effects and other sound processors, or software synthesizers) the CPU starts to struggle, but for plain recording and adding some reverb and EQ it's just fine.

While I love reel-to-reel, the headache of maintaining a multi track analog recorder, together with the cost of tape, and tape artifacts such as dropouts firmly puts it to shame compared to digital multitrack when all I want is to record my music with few worries.
Closed Thread