UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2021, 4:58 pm   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default Grundig TK120 motor troubles

Are the motors in these machines meant to be lubricated? I had one that was stiff to turn so took apart, cleaned and oiled the spindle at both ends. The machine worked fine for a few days, but after not been in use for a week the motor has become stiff to turn again. I used some very fine clock oil. The stiffness was in the bottom bearing. On reassembly, I had to centralise the rotor using shims cut from a piece of thick paper to stop it from scuffing against the motor body. I thought this one would be a quick fix, any advice greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TK120 motor.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	234607  
Old 23rd May 2021, 9:29 am   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK120 motor troubles

Not much help here but attached is the lubrication information from the TK 120 Service Manual. No explanation of the Fig 5 symbols.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210523_084506208.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	234655  
Old 24th May 2021, 1:31 pm   #3
oldbury863
Triode

I have worked on a few of these machines but I cannot help regarding your requirement to use paper shims. Certainly the holes in the laminations are larger than neccessary and require the bearings to be aligned manually as there are no locating lugs. Have you completely removed the rotor and cleaned the shaft of dried up oil? I suspect that the oil you have used is not suitable as the motor's running temperature is much higher than typically found in a clock! I previously used a general purpose Starret oil on the syncronous motors fitted to chart recorders and found it most unsuitable. It rapidly dries out when exposed to higher temperatures. I have however had success using modern car engine oil. I have lubricated the phosphor bronze bearings of my gas boiler fan unit with engine oil a couple of times now and it still performs well after 21 years of use.
Richard
Old 26th May 2021, 12:08 pm   #4
mitajohn
Pentode

In order to center the rotor you have to use two flexible bronze filers about 0.30 mm thin each, as in the pic. Build them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Two_Filers.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	234901  
Old 27th May 2021, 4:53 am   #5
martin.m
Hexode

Thank you for your replies. I spent an afternoon experimenting with a couple of these motors. Richard, I think you are correct regarding the clock oil. I used a drop of car engine oil and got much better results. John, thanks for the advice about the shims. I used strips of good quality (thicker than usual) writing paper to centralise the rotor. If the clearance is wrong, the motor will spin when turned by hand but when mains is applied will just sit there and vibrate. In the Grundig TK120 range of machines, the 250v HT and 6.3v heater supplies come from windings on the motor. It saves a lot of time if mains is applied for a quick test before fitting the motor back into the machine, The primary windings need to be connected in series for 240v operation of course. I think that in today's trendy speak, this has been a Learning Curve.

Last edited by martin.m; 27th May 2021 at 4:57 am. Reason: Clarity
Closed Thread