UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2010, 10:21 pm   #461
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Pye v4

I'm not certain about this but it would seem I have overload as without the 12dB attenuator the testcard is hard to resolve.

Which brings me to wonder about MR3 (overload diode) a CG5E which I should be able to replace with another OA91 as carried out earlier on the MR2 (vision demodulator diode)

Is it worth a try or is the just a wasted component change.

Last edited by oldticktock; 8th May 2010 at 10:50 pm.
Old 8th May 2010, 10:34 pm   #462
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I was still in short trousers when these things were being serviced Chris so have no direct experience of working on them but from what I can read and trust here from those who know far better that I do is that you have to imagine these MRX things as a diodes equivalent of a waxxie. One out all out.

Dave
Old 8th May 2010, 10:39 pm   #463
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

I see Dave, thanks I was not aware of their status duly noted now
Old 8th May 2010, 10:41 pm   #464
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Whilst on the subject of diode what's the modern equiv of CG6E would that be OA80/81 not 90/91
Old 8th May 2010, 10:53 pm   #465
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The germanium diodes OA90 and OA91 are the miniature versions of the OA80 and OA81.
These diodes are real old timers having been around since 1957.
There was an earlier diode, the OA70.

I'd say the the CG6 can be replaced by the OA70/80 or 90. Also consider the GEX34.

DFWB.
Old 8th May 2010, 10:55 pm   #466
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

not 91 then? I ask as I have those in stock.
Old 8th May 2010, 10:59 pm   #467
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Try the OA91, it should be OK.

DFWB.
Old 8th May 2010, 11:01 pm   #468
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks David, I think for tonight I will just replace MR3 and see if the overload is reduced, then do the others tomorrow, another long day today.
Old 8th May 2010, 11:32 pm   #469
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Final report for the night, the overload has been reduced I do not need the Atten now.

One observation of the test card is as follows when the control is turned anti-clockwise (looking from back) there comes a point when the screen goes blank. If you then slowly advance clockwise, there is for a brief moment, before going negative, a prefect B&W picture the sides of the testcard are still distorted etc but what i'm seeing is the definition resolved not negative.

I have a feeling this means something quite what I have not yet figured out, maybe look again around the ECC82 (V2 osc & APC amp) & EB91(V13 APC samp & rect)

Tomorrow I will replace MR1 (Vision Interference diode) with an OA91 and observe the results.

Last edited by oldticktock; 8th May 2010 at 11:47 pm.
Old 8th May 2010, 11:35 pm   #470
Red to black
Nonode

Well done so far! mate
Is this your tenth day?
What a marathon.

Last edited by Red to black; 8th May 2010 at 11:41 pm.
Old 8th May 2010, 11:44 pm   #471
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

In 20mins it's the 10th day.................... it's a public example of my lack of experience, other more capable people would have dusted this off long ago. I may come close to it but I will not give in, this set is going to give up the fight and work whether it likes it or not.
Old 8th May 2010, 11:51 pm   #472
Red to black
Nonode

No don't give in!.
I have been following your battles throughout the days/day, but did not want to post, and disturb the proceedings
You have done really well especially without some of the test gear req.
Have a.
until tomorrow.
Old 9th May 2010, 8:19 am   #473
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

and on the 10th Day.......

More work needed, but I think the battle of will's between me and this PYE are starting to turn in my favour.

p.s.

The really sad thing is, this was resolved in my sleep,I was dreaming of diodes!!! woke up had a cuppa did the necessary and result. Even when asleep im still working on this Damm PYE!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1954.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	35586   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1956.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	35587  

Last edited by oldticktock; 9th May 2010 at 8:36 am.
Old 9th May 2010, 9:28 am   #474
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Fantastic!!!! very well done on getting it to work, I have to say this set would have tried my patience and ended up on the pile of 'stuff to look at later'!
I'm off to the nvcf in a bit, and if I see one of these I might still be tempted

regards,
Lloyd.
Old 9th May 2010, 10:37 am   #475
Steve_P
Dekatron

You have discovered a trick used in Exams and Repairs alike. When you leave a set, the mind continues to work on it, even in your sleep. I have a pen and paper beside the bed!!

There is an old saying among engineers with sets like this - leave it, have a cup of tea and time away from it. You also return to it fresh and something that was obvious when you return jumps out at you.

Now, sitting here in bed unable to move, there is a set opposite me that I really must look at when I am finally allowed to move....

Nearly there old boy....

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 9th May 2010, 11:02 am   #476
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Hi OTT

That looks great. It inspires me to carry on when i hit a snag. Incidently am i right in thinking that Charles Orr Stanley (Head of Pye at the time) described these as 'shockingly bad sets' when they were released ? And that Pye was so slow to respond to complaints about the performance that from that point onwards lost a lot of dealerships and their technical dominance and that finances also surrered as a result.

Mike
Old 9th May 2010, 11:39 am   #477
Mr Hoover
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcopyephilips View Post
Hi OTT

That looks great. It inspires me to carry on when i hit a snag. Incidently am i right in thinking that Charles Orr Stanley (Head of Pye at the time) described these as 'shockingly bad sets' when they were released ? And that Pye was so slow to respond to complaints about the performance that from that point onwards lost a lot of dealerships and their technical dominance and that finances also surrered as a result.
No,fairly sure that was the subsequent model,the V14 I believe,had trouble with a PCF80 as a line oscillator drifting out of tolerance.
There was a quote in "The Setmakers" book that making the V4 and VT4 was like "Shelling Peas" in the end.

I restored my VT4 last year,no major problems,changed a lot of capscitors.
The band 1/3 tuner valve pins needed cleaning,symptom
intermittent/low gain.

Hugh
Old 9th May 2010, 2:17 pm   #478
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

I think I'm going to spend the next 10 days trying to sort out the niggling issues! still not as good as the Bush's yet.

The test card definitions is ok-ish, but when a film is played it was way to dark so had to adjust. When you go back to the test card it's washed out.

This is such a tricky set.

I still think there is an issue around the contrast and maybe the A.P.C. as when the contrast is turned anit-clock-wise the screen goes blank, I believe this is supposed to happen with the A.P.C. When it is turned clock-wise there is a point when the screen returns, but from then on the contrast seems to have little effect. Reading the R&TV book it would seem that the vision sensitivity and contrast need to be set in conjunction with each other, white-spot suppresor control seems to have an effect. This is what I mean anbout being a fiddly contraption.

Will continue to check the circuit, I still have a couple of diodes to dispense with, if they need it, such as MR1 "Vision interference surpressor"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1958.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	35590   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1959.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	35591   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1960.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	35592  

Last edited by oldticktock; 9th May 2010 at 2:44 pm.
Old 9th May 2010, 3:16 pm   #479
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

MR8 & MR9 the "Interlace filters" which are WX6's, would anybody know what are the modern equiv's of these.

Also

R10 which is connected to pin2 of the Oscillator should be 33K but is 44K that's outside of the 20%(6600 OHMS) tollerance is that ok. I'm still unsure of when you should bring values back in-line.

Last edited by oldticktock; 9th May 2010 at 3:42 pm.
Old 9th May 2010, 3:52 pm   #480
Steve_P
Dekatron

Stick an OA91 in their place and try that.

If you think that resistor being high might be a problem, change it.

Many such parts as WX6's are hard/impossible to get these days, so try an ordinary diode. Experimentation is a vital part of restoring old sets you know. What you find out by experimentation could be of use in the next set.

Cheers,

Steve P.