UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2017, 3:43 pm   #1
sp10mk11
Octode

Default BASF 9300 Tape Deck Issues

Hello
Has anyone here any experience of replacing the belts on the transport on this machine.
There is one from (I think) from the capstan to the take up reel, and a belt running around a pulley next to a section of the capstan flywheel so that it rubs on it this then turns the supply pulley for rewind, there are speed control switches on transport too switch the drive motor to a higher speed when in the FF/REW modes, so far so good, accept in rewind mode the take up spool is still turning clockwise with sufficient force to hinder the rewind.
I cannot find a suitable diagram of the mechanism to check all this.
One thing I noticed is that it uses an Aiwa servo controlled motor, which would have been ahead of its time for then.
Thanks
Gary
Old 30th Sep 2017, 4:00 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: BASF 9300 Tape Deck Issues

Looks like a typical Japanese mech that probably has a slipping clutch on the take up reel. Possibly a lever to reduce the drive when in rewind that is not operating.
Old 30th Sep 2017, 5:09 pm   #3
sp10mk11
Octode

Thanks for that there is indeed a small roller that applies extra tension on the FF belt, I was surprised to see a Japanese motor in there being such an old machine (early 1970's) you would think BASF would be keen on using European parts.
Anyway I shall investigate the roller further
Thanks
Gary
Old 30th Sep 2017, 7:15 pm   #4
ricard
Octode

Always thought it odd that BASF would manufacture actual recorders, basically they are a large chemical manufacturing company where magnetic tape was a sideline, so any form of machine would have had to be OEM:ed from somewhere else.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 12:00 pm   #5
sp10mk11
Octode

Yes your comments about it being Japanese are spot on, it is based on an Aiwa TPR-220 which I have been able to down load a view of the transport so that might help along with other advice.
Thanks
Gary
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 5:06 pm   #6
sp10mk11
Octode

Two steps forward.................
I stripped and cleaned one of the reel tables, and whilst putting it back together a drum that drives the table via a felt washer popped off under spring pressure!!!!!! found the spring but the drum is hiding very well some where on my workshop floor WAAAAAAAAA............so I have given up for now.
But now I know that the entire machine is a badged Aiwa it is not so bad at least I know if need spares I can get them from another Aiwa with the same transport.
Gary
Closed Thread