UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2017, 10:07 pm   #1
povvercrazy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai GXC-46D restoration advice

Hi, I've seen a few posts on here relating to this deck and those have given me general help but I want to ask a few questions still, this is my first proper cassette deck.
Recently picked up this deck off ebay, I haven't powered it on yet, looks in very good mechanical condition all buttons function smoothly, electrics look clean and the electrolytic caps in good nic for age, heads, capstan and roller look to be ok and clean for age it was sold as working.
The belts are definitely shot and so have ordered a full set, should I replace all electrolytic capacitors before I power it on for the first time? I have restored/refurbished a few old computers and games consoles and I wouldn't dream of firing those up before a full re-cap because of the IC's so unsure about this deck.
Would the dual run capacitor need replacing? or only if it turns out to be faulty.
Is there anything I should be aware of doing or replacing?
Is it safe to power up the deck before I do any work on it ?
thanks in advance
Old 1st May 2017, 10:17 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Akai Gxc-46D restoration advice

No need to change electrolytics in the absence of a fault. This is one of the biggest myths of the audio world.

This deck is 40 years old, and is likely to need a stripdown and relube before it works properly. It should do no harm to power it up though.
Old 3rd May 2017, 6:50 pm   #3
povvercrazy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Akai GXC-46D restoration advice

Well I have powered it up and everything seems fine, one thing I have noticed is the volume controls don't appear to work while listening through headphones, the volume is set at a reasonable level, I've checked the manual and I cant see why this should be ?
The vu meters fling across the display i just cant adjust volume, recording works as expected I can adjust the sliders for recording level, has anyone got a 46D that can enlighten me please .
Old 3rd May 2017, 8:59 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

If memory serves, the headphone jack is fixed level but the line output is controlled by the sliders.
Old 3rd May 2017, 9:02 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I think Ted is right. Lots of 70s Akai decks worked like that.
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:04 pm   #6
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by povvercrazy View Post
The vu meters fling across the display i just cant adjust volume, recording works as expected I can adjust the sliders for recording level, has anyone got a 46D that can enlighten me please .
That's exactly how the GXC46D works. Know it well, it was dad's first cassette deck and I spent many years recording Church services with it!

Do you have the service manual? If not, and if you want a copy, PM me - I scanned it a few years ago.
Old 4th May 2017, 12:15 am   #7
povvercrazy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies, thought I'd ask before I tried to investigate, wasn't sure if it was a difference between the two models 46 and 46D as I believe the 46 version has a built in amp so can drive speakers directly.
Time to knock up a Din lead then
I'm surprised how well this unit still works and functions they definitely knew how to build them back then...I was a mere toddler when this came out.

Thanks all, and yes Arjoll I will take you up on that I have service manuals for other models but couldn't find one for the 46.
Old 5th May 2017, 8:15 pm   #8
povvercrazy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again arjoll for the service manual it's a big help, the new belts turned up today (£12 +postage) so will definitely be using them to fit those.

Tempted to take some photos and update the pdfs
Closed Thread