UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2017, 3:24 pm   #1
John Caswell
Hexode

Default Tandberg fluxivity level

Hi all,
Does anyone have any idea/figures on the fluxivity levels of Tandberg R2R test tapes?

Ta

John
Old 8th May 2017, 4:34 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg fluxivity level

Most test tapes in the sixties were either at 320nWb/m or 185/200nWb/m, the former European and the latter American, broadly speaking. Domestic machines tended to peak at 320 or thereabouts, which roughly corresponded to 3% distortion on the tape stock of the day.
Old 8th May 2017, 6:29 pm   #3
John Caswell
Hexode

Hi Ted,
Thanks very much. Yes I was aiming at 320nWb/m, as Tandberg were this side of the pond so would most likely use the IEC/DIN standard. I just wondered if anyone had any definitive figure, similar to what Revox/Studer put in their manuals. I have Revox 257/NAB cal tape set, plus a BBC 120nWb/m one, so may splash out on a "standard" 320 set (gulps and clutches wallet). Many thanks.

John

Last edited by John Caswell; 8th May 2017 at 6:33 pm. Reason: Addnl blurb
Old 8th May 2017, 8:25 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

120nWb/m is 8.5 dB below 320, 200 is about 4dB below, so it is possible to do the line-up with these tapes by applying the appropriate fiddle factor...test tapes always did cost a mint, but with good reason!
Old 8th May 2017, 11:20 pm   #5
John Caswell
Hexode

Hi Ted,
Yep that is what I have been doing, then you forget and wonder what has gone wrong and have to go back and do it again - damn. I think I will be brave and hang the cost, two or three hours of wasted time pays for them.

John
Old 8th May 2017, 11:44 pm   #6
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Yeah, been there too...
Old 9th May 2017, 4:14 pm   #7
John Caswell
Hexode

Hi Ted et al,
Of course if I had looked in my copious stocks of calibration tapes (yeah right) I would have found my original Tandberg level calibration tape of 400Hz and 320nWb/m d'oH. Thanks anyway Ted

John
Old 10th May 2017, 2:15 pm   #8
ricard
Octode

Is that the one of the tapes on the small 3" reels, labeled things like "Tandberg test tape no 4" ?
Old 10th May 2017, 3:08 pm   #9
John Caswell
Hexode

Hi Ricard,
Yes it is.

John
Closed Thread