UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2017, 12:28 am   #1
Timvintage
Pentode

Default Philips N4308 clutches

Hi everyone, I am trying to repair a philips n4308 reel to reel currently. As some of you may know, I am completely blind, but I'm fairly confident with doing mechanical repairs such as belt replacement and things like that, But I am not able to do electrical repairs. Luckily, the amp of the recorder all seems good, there was a good volume level of sound coming out of the speaker, but as usual, The belts had all turned to A horrible mess, and I spent ages cleaning it all out. One of the brake pads had also gone sticky. I have read on the forum that the clutch rubber also tends to go bad.
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to go about accessing the clutches. So far, I have only removed the top cover of the machine, to access where the belts were, have cleaned up the forward and rewind wheels and others, but wasn't sure how to get underneath the real tables to access the clutches, I think I read somewhere that you have to take the whole deck out of the case, is this the only way of doing it, and if so, how would I do this? I am hoping I wouldn't have to unsolder anything.
Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you very much, Tim
Old 20th Apr 2017, 12:44 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips n4308 clutches

I did one and also have another one waiting.
You need to remove a clip or something like that from under the deck to get the reel table out.
The new parts have to be cut from a sheet of rubber.
Old 20th Apr 2017, 4:02 pm   #3
Timvintage
Pentode

Default Re: Philips N4308 clutches

Thanks refugee for your reply, so do you have to remove the whole deck from the case in order to get to that clip?
Old 24th Apr 2017, 10:20 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Hi Tim,

No soldering needed - unless you're unlucky!

You have to remove an earth tag to the trim at the front of the machine, and ISTR the speaker tags. Then lift out the chassis, carefully feeding the mains lead through as you go.

Lie the chassis upside down on an old cushion or similar, and you can unclip the spool tables from the rear. I think - and I hope others will verify this as it's been a little while - on the supply one there is one outer c-clip , then the counter pulley, then another c-clip and also some transparent washers that you must ensure get replaced as they come off. You can then flip the chassis over and lift off the spool table. Upon replacement, don't forget to add a little drop of oil to the bearing.

The clutch inserts I usually replace with cut up pieces of O-rings. Be sure not to have them overlap by more than a couple of mm or you'll end up with way too much drag, especially critical on the supply spool table. You may have to use some trial and error and go back in there if the first time is unsatisfactory. Stick with it!

Hope that helps,
Old 25th Apr 2017, 2:05 am   #5
Timvintage
Pentode

Hi Ben, thank you very much for your very detailed reply, that was so helpful I really appreciate it! I have now ordered the repair Kit from Dave Hughes, so hopefully it will get sorted soon.
Old 25th Apr 2017, 1:46 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

No problem Tim, good to see you're still at the repairs! Let us know how it goes.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 7:43 pm   #7
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

I usually just glue the two halves of the clutch together
Closed Thread