UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2014, 3:04 pm   #1
WME_bill
Octode

Default 50Mhz Oscilloscope Design in Wireless World 1975.

George Livanes "oldtech1000" has recently asked me for some info upon the PSU for this design by CMJ Little published over 4 month period in 1975.
I have scanned the articles, as it is quite an interesting design, and for its date, not very far behind the mainstream commercial market.
The full articles are too large to post, but I attach the PSU circuits as he requested.
There were quite a number of interesting articles about Scopes and Wobbulators in WW over the years. A lot in 1950-1960, I suppose when scopes first began to appear commercially. wme_bill m0wpn
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 50MhzOscilloscope _Little_PSU-wm.pdf (779.5 KB, 343 views)
Old 19th May 2014, 5:35 pm   #2
audiomik
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 50Mhz Oscilloscope Design in Wireless World 1975.

built a variation of this design but dual trace using a different CRT.
Learned much about 'Scope internals and used the finished instrument for a while on my bench in the early 80's.

Seem to remember using a pair of transistors to 'create' the Tunnel diode for timebase triggering which worked well, and modifying one Y channel to be fully differential
Mik
Old 19th May 2014, 8:18 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Yes I built this one too, used a scope tube from Smiths of Edgware Rd, true Dual beam type with PDA. It worked very well and I think I still have the tube.

Ed
Old 20th May 2014, 7:07 pm   #4
WME_bill
Octode

50MHz oscilloscope ex W.W. I studied the articles, and planned to build it to replace the valve one I had built from a design in Short Wave Magazine 1955 by A.K.Brookman G3FLP, which used five EF91 and a VCR139A/ECR30 tube, and was very compact indeed. About the size of the Metrovick CT52/84 or Cossor 1039, but a better performance. I spent a whole summer vacation when a student playing around with inductive compensation to improve the frequency response to 1Mhz.
Then I was going to build the WW valve design of 1963/64, but actually had to do some work (earn) at that time. I was given a Hartley 13A instead, which quite distracted me, and then acquired a wife. So though I planned to build this modern transistor design, I never got around to it as I was given a modern Telequipment scope at work.
The first scope you build seems to be the one you learn most about.
As a matter of interest, Audiomik, how did you resolve the alternative Tunnel diode. I'd be interested to see the circuit. Presumably a schmitt trigger arrangement.
And both you and Ed Dinning used dual beam tubes too.
wme_bill m0wpn

Last edited by WME_bill; 20th May 2014 at 7:31 pm.
Old 20th May 2014, 7:15 pm   #5
ParcGwyn
Hexode

I've just ordered a bound edition of WW May to Aug 1975 to have a look at this design it sounds very interesting. I would also be interested in seeing how you created the tunnel diode.

Dave
GW7ONS
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:33 am   #6
audiomik
Retired Dormant Member

for the 'Tunnel Diode', I recall there being an equivalent circuit using two transistors published in another WW article.

This article might shed some light on it?
http://www.vk6fh.com/vk6fh/lambda_diode.htm

Mik
Closed Thread