UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2014, 12:43 pm   #1
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Heathkit Engine Ignition Analyser annoying fault!

Hi,

I have a Heathkit CO-1015 engine analyser which I built from an old un-assembled kit a couple of years ago. I replaced all the resistors with new film ones and cleaned all the solder areas before assembling it.

Once built, it worked properly for a short time (a few minutes) and then the timebase stopped. It hasn't worked since and now I'm tearing my hair out trying to find the fault. It doesn't help that I can't find the assembly manual that came with the kit, so all I have is the circuit diagram. All the other functions seem to work as they should, but the CRT shows only a vertically oriented line which should be a nice sine wave display if the timebase worked. Both the timebase and the calibration signal for the Y axis are derived from the 50Hz mains.

Has anyone any knowledge of this device, or better yet a copy of the manual that I could borrow?

Richard
Old 18th May 2014, 5:01 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Heathkit Engine Analyser annoying fault!

I'm not familiar with this device, but I wonder whether it is similar to the old analyser made by Hawk? That device actually measured the amount of hydrogen in the gas, but the amount of CO present is in direct proportion, so the meter scale is calibrated in units of CO.

The problem is that such devices pre-date catalytic convertors and don't work on cars with cats.
Old 18th May 2014, 5:51 pm   #3
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Bazz I think Richard is refering to the test oscilloscope by Heathkit not the exhaust gas analyser instrument.

Tony
Old 19th May 2014, 7:07 am   #4
mole42uk
Nonode

Hi, Tony is correct - it's an ignition analyser, not a CO analyser.

I have a Sun CO analyser, and my car does not have a CAT!!

Richard
Old 19th May 2014, 9:31 am   #5
Station X

The circuit is here (yes I know you have it).

http://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit

Looking at the circuit, the horizontal deflection plates are driven by Q702 and Q703 which have a 250V DC supply. Test voltages are given, so it would be worth checking them.

If you have access to a scope you could check for a saw tooth? driving these transistors.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th May 2014, 10:37 am   #6
mole42uk
Nonode

Hi Graham,

The 250V is probably okay - I can move the spot fully left to right using the Horiz. Position control, and the vertical amp (also driven by the 250V line) is working just fine.

There is no sawtooth driving the transistors. That's what I'm finding a real problem because it seems to be derived from the AC sine wave by Q610 and fed through SW1 to Q304 when SW1 is in the 'Calibrate' position. I can see a square wave at the base of Q601, but it has no signal on the collector. Q601 tests good and has also been substituted as a belt-n-braces approach.

I am going to try and inject a suitable 50Hz signal into the base of Q702, the Horiz output transistor, make sure that moves the spot as I expect, then move back from there.

I have to do some paid work for an hour or two first though :-(

Richard
Old 19th May 2014, 11:42 am   #7
dave cox
Nonode

What's the voltage on Q601 collector?
Do you see a signal on Q601 collector when its NOT in the CAL position?

Working back the other way, Q701 is a level shifter. Does it show sensible voltages ?

dc
Old 19th May 2014, 12:19 pm   #8
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Heathkit Engine Ignition Analyser annoying fault!

If there's no signal on Q601 collector, what about the resistor R604 from its collector to the positive supply? If that was open-circuit it could cause this problem.

Chris
Old 19th May 2014, 1:45 pm   #9
mole42uk
Nonode

Q601 collector has about 34mV DC which is in accordance with the circuit.

There is a signal on Q601 collector when SW1 is NOT in CAL position. The signal is a 40mV p-p pulse alternately pos and neg at about 50Hz. It disappears as soon as the switch is put into CAL, but when the switch is in anything other than CAL the collector isn't connected to anything except the 100k resistor (R604)

Q701 was not showing anything sensible at all and testing the transistor out of circuit suggested it wasn't happy. I changed that but still no luck.

Applying a 600mV 50Hz sine wave to the base of Q702 makes the trace move side-to side in the expected manner. Putting a similar signal to the base of Q701 does not make the trace move, yet I cannot find a fault with Q701, or the zener or the 4k7 resistor.

Richard
Old 19th May 2014, 3:25 pm   #10
dave cox
Nonode

The zener (Q701 emitter) needs to be reverse biased into breakdown. You need to provide enough bias voltage to do this (Q701 base) with the sweep superimposed on top. If I'm reading it right, it will need LESS than14.4V less the zener voltage then less a bit more (your 600mV) to get Q701 into its operating region.

Next back in the chain is the FET follower then the ramp integrator, around C401 (?) and current source Q402.

dc

Last edited by dave cox; 19th May 2014 at 3:26 pm. Reason: clarification
Old 20th May 2014, 10:18 am   #11
mole42uk
Nonode

Thanks to everyone who's helped so far. I still haven't made any improvement and after nearly two solid days I have to put the covers back on and take a break!

I'll be into it again when my head has recovered!

Richard
Closed Thread