UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2012, 2:37 pm   #101
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Philips Electronic Engineer Kits Starter for You?

The record I remember on my EE kit radio (once I'd got the long wave kit) was Gladys Knight & the Pips' "Take me in your arms and love me".

I thought "Morningtown Ride" pre-dated arrival of my kit but on looking on the label (yes, I have a copy - probably a birthday or Christmas present) it was a 1966 recording. (Columbia no. DB8060 for the completists!) However, I remember the frustration of the MW receiver only getting the Home and Third programmes so the LW conversion kit for the Light Programme was a must for my pocket money.
Old 8th Apr 2012, 10:09 am   #102
Vectamart
Pentode

I had a similar product made by Waddingtons as a Christmas present in 1966. It definitely stimulated my initial interest in electronics.
Old 17th Jan 2013, 1:46 pm   #103
jtboldon
Retired Dormant Member

Dear all,

I just came across this forum and this thread after doing a search on Radionic Kits. I started back in the sixties with a Philips EE base kit which I got second hand. After much nagging and pleading, I got the extension kit for Christmas in order to build the intercom.

A friend at school, who had much more money, had moved on to a Radionic Kit. This was way out of my price range but I did discover that Radionic Products Limited in Crawley sold not only individual components but also the molded plastic bases with threaded posts. If I recall the white and red two post ones were 6d each. I worked out I had just enough pocket money to buy a Perspex base and enough component bases and brass strip to convert my Philips EE into Radionic by soldering all the EE components onto Radionic bases.

Over a few years I mounted more of my own components plus bought original Radionic components until I could build the ultimate Superhet. Radionic was my development platform for all my teenage electronic projects. Last thing I did was buy the E/508 Digital Computer circuit diagram but actually building it was way beyond my means. I still have all the stuff and diagrams. Must get it out and build something one of these days.

John B
Old 3rd Jun 2013, 8:41 pm   #104
Kranenborg
Retired Dormant Member

Hello,

It is indeed most interesting to read that the Philips EE series has inspired so many in so many ways, and it is nice to see that this system had a large followers base too in GB. I still remember for me as a child the attractiveness of the set was defined by the fact that it used real components to make you feel part of the world, no simplifications / reduced possibilities. I started with an EE2040, the reflex AM radio that was present on the front of the kits of the EE2000 (and EE1000) took years of expansion kits as birthday presents to build. I have EE2000/EE2001 kits, but got shortly exposed to an EE1051 that I could not use (to my great distress I still remember). I also remember that I quickly ran out of blank wire and that the components became less shiny and thus a new kit was always most welcome already for that sole reason ...

I myself, growing up in the Netherlands, got exposed to the EE kits through my father, who was head of a primary school and teacher of the highest class (12 year olds). He knew of many of the boys in the class what their hobbies were, and I still vaguely remember being introduced to two of them in their homes with an astronomy and electronics inclination, and these two subjects would become my youth hobbies as well, with university and family life pushing them out of my sight but with electronics being revived again ten years ago and now a very important private activity again (and I managed to get my oldest son to get involved as well, see for example the following thread on a microcontroller-based near-space satellite project where we used my Philips EE system as a prototyping system, as some pictures reveal: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthr...te-PongSat-18X)

Amongst the particular EE success stories that I remember gave the greatest satisfaction (also present in EE1000): The AM radio and the three-transistor telephone amplifier (for the first time allowing am impressive family conversation with my grandmother)

A thing I noted in this thread:
Basically only the "older" EE variants are mentioned, EE8/20 and EE1000. Were the successor series EE2000 and EE2001 (which became very popular and ubiquitous in NL, Germany but even my current home country Sweden) also sold in GB or where they absent (or maybe found competition of another system)?

It is ages ago that I got my first EE kit and in the mean time a lot of discussions have arisen about the lack of educational material or interest, but I think GB may take real pride in being home to a company that makes the Picaxe microcontroller system for educational purposes which I am also using intensively for my current projects (like for example the above mentioned satellite project). Hope for younger generations is not lost yet ...

Best regards,
Jurjen
http://www.kranenborg.org/electronics
Old 3rd Jun 2013, 10:42 pm   #105
DragonForce
Retired Dormant Member

I started out with a book called "Radio" by David Gibson, a soldering iron and a bag of parts given to me on my 10th birthday in 1972.

Later I had the X40 set as a birthday present - maybe 1973?
Closed Thread