UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2017, 12:26 pm   #1
BrickyBrian
Diode

Default A device to play 8mm HS90 tape.

I have found some TDK 8mm HS90 tapes when clearing out and I would like to see what is on them. I seem to remember from many years ago that there used to be a VHS cassette that one could slip those 8mm HS90 tapes into. Could anyone please point me towards where I could obtain such a device?
Old 7th Jul 2017, 12:46 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: A device to play 8mm HS90 tape.

A working 8mm camcorder would do the job.

Several companies offer a transfer to DVD service.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Jul 2017, 1:17 pm   #3
cmjones01
Nonode

An 8mm cassette won't work in a VHS adapter. The adapters were for use with VHS-C cassettes, which were a different standard. The 8mm cassette is a different size and the picture and sound are recorded differently on the tape, so a proper Video-8 or Hi-8 player or camcorder is what you need.

Chris
Old 7th Jul 2017, 1:47 pm   #4
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quite a few of the digital 8 machines could also playback the analogue format 8mm tapes. This is handy because it makes it easy to capture onto a computer. Sony did a range of D8 camcorders, and I still have mine just in case I turn up any more analogue 8mm.
Old 7th Jul 2017, 2:24 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I had the same issue two years ago, so I bid on an old camcorder on Ebay, and secured it at the princely sum of 99p (+£2.90 p&p)

I digitised the tapes by recording them on my old DVD recorder that accepts a composite input.
Old 7th Jul 2017, 2:30 pm   #6
BrickyBrian
Diode

Many thanks for all of your replies but I'm sure that there used to be a VHS cassette case of some sort that one could slip those 8mm HS90 tapes into so I will have to keep looking.

Old 7th Jul 2017, 3:11 pm   #7
paulsherwin

No, it's a completely different standard. The tape is a different width for one thing. Don't waste your time looking for a suitable adaptor because they don't exist. As Chris said in #3, you are thinking of the adaptors which allowed VHS-C camcorder tapes to be played back on full sized VCRs. The tape and encoding system are the same for VHS and VHS-C, and only the physical cassette body is different.
Old 7th Jul 2017, 3:17 pm   #8
Gulliver
Hexode

Just to back up what others have said, there is no possible way to "adapt" an 8mm video cassette to run in a VHS machine. The formats are wholly incompatible. Any one of us could go into details if you wish.

There *was* an adaptor for VHS-C cassettes to fit in a full size VHS machine. But that won't do you any good.

I have working hi8 and digital 8 camcorders but am afraid I'm way backlogged transferring tapes to USB and DVD for friends.

However I can attest that obtaining a cheap used camcorder of the correct format works. You can then output to a DVD recorder or computer capture card if you have one...if not you can probably buy a capture card for only a few pounds more than the camcorder.
Old 7th Jul 2017, 5:19 pm   #9
BrickyBrian
Diode

Just goes to show what a frustrating spare part a defective memory is. I could see the device I mentioned in my minds eye but as you said, even the width of the two tapes is different. I was going to say that I'm not tight but I am and I don't fancy paying £45.00 to have these three tapes looked at when they may even be empty so I will go for the option looking for working 8mm camcorder. It can then go in the cupboard with my wonderful old Panasonic that looked like a 3.5 rocket launcher and embarrassed my wife so much she refused to go out with when I carried it but for all you patience.
Old 7th Jul 2017, 7:54 pm   #10
Station X

This reminds me that I must dig out my Video8 camcorder, check that it still works in playback (it stopped recording years ago) and digitise my recordings.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 4:03 pm   #11
radioredcat
Hexode

I was in a charity shop today and saw a nice looking bag on a shelf so looked in it and it's a Samsung VP-U10 with accessories plus two new Fuji 60 min tapes so couldn't resist in buying it.
I switched it on and the view finder lit but battery was showing low so I have put it on charge so will know when it's charged whether the unit works ok.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2863.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	146000  
Old 10th Jul 2017, 4:18 pm   #12
electronicskip
Nonode

Amazing to think nowadays how technology has become throw away in the main.
I remember selling an early Akai portable (shopping trolley) camcorder to a customer costing about £1200 , now its worth almost nothing.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 4:45 pm   #13
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioredcat View Post
I was in a charity shop today and saw a nice looking bag on a shelf so looked in it and it's a Samsung VP-U10 with accessories plus two new Fuji 60 min tapes so couldn't resist in buying it.
I switched it on and the view finder lit but battery was showing low so I have put it on charge so will know when it's charged whether the unit works ok.
Was it less, or more than the 99 pence I paid for my Hitachi

It was listed as untested , for spares or repair, and didn't have its PSU/charger, so I banked on the probability that the camera itself was OK, and after finding a suitable power brick, this proved to be the case. Long play would have been nice, but you can't have everything.

I've just been looking at your SpE TV videos, I must do that one last time while there is still some analogue left, and before it's just a memory.

Graham.
G3ZVT

Came back like a slow voice on a wave of phase...
...Switch on the TV we may pick him up on channel 2
Old 10th Jul 2017, 5:32 pm   #14
radioredcat
Hexode

Hi Graham it cost me £10 and it is in mint condition anyway battery charged in 40 mins so tried the camera functions and all good the VCR mech looks very clean.
So I need to check the VCR next so will have to break open one of the sealed tapes as I have no other tapes so will try it later just reading the manual for it.

Andy
Old 14th Jul 2017, 1:33 pm   #15
mjddewet
Triode

I've got a Sony TRV 380E videocam that can output to Firewire, USB as well as composite video.

It reads analogue 8, Hi-8 and Digital-8 tapes.

It is also a 'pass-thru' device, where you can use the composite cable as input to the vidcam, and then output to USB for capturing media from VHS to digital format on a PC.

It is quite a nifty piece of electronics, as it can sense when there's analogue input and then will 'ask' you to connect the USB cable for output to a PC.

I nurture the vidcam like a priceless jewel, as I've still got some older D8 and analogue tapes to "put on DVD"
Old 17th Jul 2017, 1:41 pm   #16
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Just be aware that the camcorders made in the early to mid 90's are now starting in to have electrolytic capacitor problems, serface mount and mare to change. I managed to pick up a nice early 2000's Sony at a boot sale for £2 which does both digital and analogue. And so far seems very reliable even the two li-on batteries still hold a good charge.

Jay