UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2014, 4:45 pm   #61
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Cassette Recorders

Alcohol will likely dissolve these rollers, it is very risky. Some hot water with a drop of washing up liquid might be better.
Old 1st Mar 2014, 5:39 pm   #62
Andrew2
Nonode

At our workshop, we always cleaned pinch rollers with isopropyl alcohol.
it brought off all the oxide and other grub without any sign of damage.
Old 1st Mar 2014, 8:12 pm   #63
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I, too use isopropyl alcohol to clean heads, pinchrollers, etc., and have never known it cause a problem. In the past I've also used Methylated Spirits for these jobs, though not for ages.
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 1:26 am   #64
ben
Dekatron

I always use alcohol on rollers in anything made within the last 20 -odd years, but after a couple of bad experiences with 35 year-old-plus kit (philips and tandberg), I'd advise against using it on the really old gear. Each to their own of course, but don't say you weren't warned! ;-)
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 9:35 am   #65
sp10mk11
Octode

I found meths great for removing old belt goo but on old pinch rollers a no no, alchohol is as far as I go with old rollers
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 7:25 pm   #66
Steelemaneric
Triode

Big Dave who supplied the belts for my EL3302 recommended a selection of cleaners for removing the goo. Cif, Jif, Tcut and Gunk engine cleaner I used Jif and Cotton Buds which got rid of the horrible stuff. The little recorder gives quite a nice crisp large sound for such a small device. However I got into trouble because her indoors doesn't appreciate Carl Perkins Blue Suede Shoes as much as I do and there isn't a jack socket which is surprising. I don't think it has ever been used. It was given to my Wife in the early 90s by a friend who was de-cluttering. I believe it might have been an unwanted Christmas
present.
Eric
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 2:23 pm   #67
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelemaneric View Post
there isn't a jack socket which is surprising.
Philips were all DIN connectors at that time and the external speaker socket works fine with a headphone adaptor cable. Isn't there a headphone output on the 270 degree DIN connector too?
Old 6th Mar 2014, 6:17 pm   #68
Steelemaneric
Triode

Socket 1 which is a three pin DIN is the signal input / output and socket 2 which has a five pin DIN is designed to take the microphone remote control, headphones, a three way box and 7.5 volt mains supply. There is also a loudspeaker socket.
I'm going to give it a second pulley clean because the Wow and Flutter has got quite unacceptable. The belt has got tacky again. I'm going to use mentholated spirit this time. I might have to buy another belt kit.
Eric
Old 14th Mar 2014, 1:36 am   #69
Maarten
Dekatron

Regarding the date codes on the Aiwa, I have done some research and stumbled upon http://www.johnwolff.id.au/calculators/Canon/Canon.htm which explains a common Japanese dating scheme of the time, counting years from 1926.

This suggests 46.7.18 and 46.8.6 being 1971 date codes instead of 1964 date codes.
Old 14th Mar 2014, 10:04 am   #70
camtechman
Nonode

Maarten,

Wow, what a find!

Well done, that now answers one mystery, although why Sony would introduce a 1964 Philips version in 1971 still leaves that part un-answered and probably we'll never know.

Many thanks, not just from me but, I'm sure from others too who will also find this date coding information very useful.

Tony
Old 14th Mar 2014, 10:29 am   #71
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm guessing it was a 'cost down' design as was often the case when equipment was bought in. They would have had nicer and more expensive models in their own product line-up by then.
Old 14th Mar 2014, 11:30 am   #72
camtechman
Nonode

One previous suggestion was that, as the Aiwa TP736 was on the market since approx 1965-1968 perhaps Aiwa had some excess stock and maybe Sony took up the opportunity to buy them at a low price?
Old 14th Mar 2014, 10:07 pm   #73
Maarten
Dekatron

Given a production date of 1971 this would mean they had an overstock in parts, not in assemblies or completed sets. This makes it a bit less likely in my opinion but certainly not impossible.
Old 15th Mar 2014, 7:54 pm   #74
camtechman
Nonode

Maarten.

Just acquired a Sanyo M-747 cassette recorder, date stamp on motor: 46-11-12 and following the 'Hirohito' code, that'll be 12th November 1971.
Old 15th Mar 2014, 10:07 pm   #75
Maarten
Dekatron

Nice. I wonder how wide spread this dating system was and when it was discontinued (who knows, it may still be in use at some obscure manufacturer).
Old 16th Mar 2014, 5:14 am   #76
julie_m
Dekatron

It was fairly common practice in Japan to start counting the years from the beginning of each new emperor's reign.

When Emperor Hirohito passed on, it caused some computer problems in Japan. Apparently, some programmers had thought it disrespectful to entertain the possibility of an emperor being mortal and so hard-coded in the date; thus requiring extensive and complex modification when the event they were trying so hard to pretend was not going to happen, happened.
Old 16th Mar 2014, 11:25 am   #77
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby
It was fairly common practice in Japan...
It was, and indeed still is. These days it's more often done by writing a letter (either Roman or Japanese) in front of the year number to signify which reign it's in, though one does still see years written as just a number, where it's expected that the reader will simply know which era is being referred to.

There are also tables published of list of what year it would be if each era had continued rather than ended, for use when something (e.g. an electricity meter) has stamped on it something like "Replace in Showa 73", but the Showa era ended in 1989 (or in the Japanese system, Showa 64).

For reference purposes if anyone's interested:

Meiji era = 1868-1912
Taisho era = 1912-1926
Showa era = 1926-1989
Heisei era = 1989-present

Ed.
Old 16th Mar 2014, 5:55 pm   #78
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Just a small problem that someone might have an easy answer for.I have a couple of pre-recorded cassettes that for some reason seem to be jamming in my cassette recorders. I have tried them in several machines and the results are the same, the tape either runs slow or stops altogether. Unfortunately these cassettes being pre-recorded have no screws in them but are glued together. Has anybody come across this and managed to cure the problem. As a last result I suppose I could try breaking open the cassettes and try fitting the tape and spools in another case, hopefully without damaging the tape.
Mike
Old 16th Mar 2014, 8:01 pm   #79
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I would do what you suggest, or spool the tape into an empty/donor cassette via the head/pinch apertures, using splicing tape to attach the old tape to the new leaders.

N.
Old 16th Mar 2014, 10:09 pm   #80
ben
Dekatron

Quick fix: take the cassette between first finger and thumb, and gently squeeze the area around the spool apertures. This should flatten out the tape pack enough for it to run without jamming and allow you to copy the tape to fresh tape or to your PC.
Closed Thread