UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2017, 3:21 pm   #1
markgarry
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony TC-377 reel to reel (dead)

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me ?

I have just purchased a Sony TC-377 reel to reel tape recorder and it has a problem.

When I switch the unit on it powers up as such (the vu lights are on) but it does nothing else.

I have taken the rear cover off and the motor is dead and not spinning even when I try play or fast forward or rewind

Can anyone advise me what to check for or what the fault could be ?

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

Many thanks for all your help its so much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark
Old 9th Jan 2017, 5:42 pm   #2
markgarry
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sony TC-377 reel to reel (dead)

Hi again,

Just a quick update.

I've managed to get the motor running I simply did not thread the tape correctly by missing the tape tension arm.

It will rewind but I have to hold the control knob it will play and again I have to get the control knob in the correct position and hold it otherwise it goes back to the stop position once I let go...it will fast forward without holding the knob though.

Oh there is a slight noise like a rumbling sound when playing...could that be belts ?

Once again many many thanks for all your help

Regards,

Mark
Old 9th Jan 2017, 7:47 pm   #3
bojitchko
Retired Dormant Member

There may be some blockage.

Here the scheme.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony_TC-377_schematic.pdf (516.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 10th Jan 2017, 12:39 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

These are single-motor decks, which unfortunately means that an array of belts and idlers are needed for the various spooling modes . The mechanical linkages used in engaging these suffer from hardened sticky grease. These 40-odd year old units ideally need a strip-down and overhaul to work reliably. Try a search for 'sony reel grease' or similar as the subject has been discussed. Last Sony one I did was a TC270 a few years ago.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 1:18 am   #5
dmaillard
Tetrode

Hi,
The TC-377 has an auto stop mechanism which consists of several little precision aluminium cams. These are located under the metal plate which the head block, the main control knob, and the flywheel are attached to. The lubricant around these cams always goes sticky and the cams no longer are free to move, hence the control knob won't stay in the playback/rewind/Ffwd positions. An easy fix, without dismantling the metal plate, is to spray a switch cleaner/lubricant, with extension nozzle, in the area of the cams. Make sure first to cover the surrounding areas with rags or paper towels to avoid over spray. Several applications should free up the cams.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 5:34 am   #6
TIMTAPE
Octode

The rumbling sound is probably a hardened capstan idler tyre. Worse on the fast speeds.

The hardened tyre can also mean slowing of the tape due to loss of grip. Sometimes a cleaning/roughening of the rubber surface helps restore grip but if really hardened, the only real solution is replacing the rubber.
Closed Thread