UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2019, 10:22 pm   #1
hunty3000
Triode

Default What bulb for Bush SRP31?

Hi.

Does anyone know where or what kind of power light bulb I need for the Bush SRP31. The original one fitted was corroded. All I could read was 3.5V. I replaced it with a 3.5V MES bulb from eBay but they lasted a few minutes then burnt out

Has anyone just replaced them with an LED.

Thanks.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 11:09 pm   #2
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: What bulb for Bush SRP31?

This is across the heater supply for the valves so should be rated at 6.5V 0.3A according to the service manual.

Keith
Old 11th Dec 2019, 11:25 pm   #3
hunty3000
Triode

There are two bulbs in there. One used as a fuse I presume and one as the power indicator.
This looked like a original bulb as it had some kind of rubber/heat shrink material around it so light didn't bleed threw the vent holes. Some body must have fitted the wrong one in the past. I will order and try that rating.
Thanks
Old 11th Dec 2019, 11:36 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

If it's the fuse bulb it should be 6 volt 500mA. It may have failed through old age, or it may have done what it was there for!
Old 11th Dec 2019, 11:43 pm   #5
hunty3000
Triode

No it's not the fuse bulb. That's works fine. Slight glow on it and record player is all working fine apart from the power indicator bulb. The replacement bulbs I put in worked fine for a few minutes then blew. They we're 3.5v 200ma bulbs. I thought perhaps the ma wasn't high enough rating.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 9:28 am   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

It's more likely that the bulb you fitted was too low in Voltage. I don't have a diagram for the SRP31, but I'd guess that a 6.5v bulb was needed, as it's likely to be supplied from the heater windingas Keith's TV says in post #2.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:28 am   #7
Techman
Dekatron

Yes, that's correct, it's 6.5 V - 0.3 A.

Why not download the service information sheets for your player? They'll tell you all you need to know.

There's not a lot to worry about electronically on these players other than the rectifier, which is the square metal thing bolted to the right hand side of the chassis. These start to fail and cause rather thin sound with the bass control having no effect. You may find that it's already been replaced by a modern diode and an all important wire wound series resistor. Check the HT voltage with a DVM at the main smoothing capacitor to ascertain the condition of this rectifier - it should be over 200 volts DC.

Capacitors are not known to cause any particular trouble in these players.

The separate 'tweeter' next to the loud speaker may well not be working, but they're fairly pointless anyway.

Last edited by Techman; 12th Dec 2019 at 11:34 am.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 1:35 pm   #8
Station X

Extract from service sheet. Well worth your spending £1.99 on the whole thing.

https://www.service-data.com/product...38/1039/m10638
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srp31.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	195244  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 6:07 pm   #9
hunty3000
Triode

Thanks for that. I have already replaced the rectifier and replaced the cartridge for one of those chinese ones from ebay as the original one was broken and are very expensive. I just 3d printed a bracket for it and fitted some new crimps. The player sounds great, better than I expected. Also the tweeter works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20190919_151759.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	195261  
Old 12th Dec 2019, 9:08 pm   #10
Techman
Dekatron

You've done well - looks good! I hope you re-set the tracking weight for the replacement cartridge and its new mount.

You may have replaced the rectifier, but did you fit the all important series resistor? You haven't said. It won't last long if you haven't, trust me!
Old 12th Dec 2019, 9:29 pm   #11
hunty3000
Triode

Yes. Put a resistor on aswell. I've also covered the front panel with white speaker material. Looks 10x better just from that. Added replacement badge. Some white hair pin legs and white slipmat. I know it's not original but I'd rather make it look nicer and then my missus will let me have it in the living room so I will get some use out of it. The idler wheel was slipping aswell so ruffed it up abit with a bit of sandpaper. I'm going to recover it when the weather gets a bit better. Really happy with the player. And I think there very easy to work on. Never had a record player before as I'm in my mid 30s. Was all tapes back in my day. I'm a electrical and mechanical engineer so I'm hands on anyway. I had a bargin from shpock. Bush srp31d and dansette major for £30.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 9:37 pm   #12
Techman
Dekatron

Sounds like you did well!

Those badges on the front always go missing.

They are actually a very good record player with that little push pull amplifier. The only weak link is that stupid half wave selenium rectifier - and they could have done with fitting a larger main speaker, but you can't have everything.
Old 25th Dec 2019, 1:11 am   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

Eleven posts moved to a new thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162398
Closed Thread