UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2019, 2:38 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Toshiba 156T9B

The latest addition to my collection is this late 1980s Toshiba 156T9B. UK made though the remote has Made In Japan moulded into it.

It's slightly unusual by being a 15 inch screen rather than the sizes either side, but the compact case means this isn't a problem.

It's has some interesting features, including a basic on screen display for settings & a dummy grille moulding on the right hand side for a speaker.

The loop aerial took a while to work out how to remove, especially as the cable was zip tied through a grille.

No AV connections but that isn't a problem with my modulator.

When showing something from my hard drive recorder is does show a light of white dots at the top of the screen for some reason, but it's not a massive problem.

The picture looks nice & sharp, the previous owner said it was a bedroom set for years & hardly used, though I can see the power button has some wear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2132.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	190160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toshiba_156T9B_1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	190161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toshiba_156T9B_2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	190162  
Old 14th Sep 2019, 4:52 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Toshiba 156T9B

Replace C303 and C313 in the field timebase. They are 2.2uf caps. Use 100V replacements. That is the only fault these receivers produced. I sold very large numbers of these and the 14" version. The test card should be just about as perfect as it gets.John.
Old 14th Sep 2019, 10:57 pm   #3
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Replace C303 and C313 in the field timebase. They are 2.2uf caps. Use 100V replacements. That is the only fault these receivers produced. I sold very large numbers of these and the 14" version. The test card should be just about as perfect as it gets.John.
Thanks for the suggestion, I couldn't find much about these online, especially any service information.
Old 14th Sep 2019, 11:16 pm   #4
Richard_FM
Nonode

I presume the model number would translate as:

156T9B = 15 screen size, 6 series, T Teletext, 9 1989, B British version.

Talking of testcards I give a DVD with a testcard F on earlier & the top & bottom edge patterns were almost all showing, but the side ones were not visible.

I did wonder how accessible the height control was, but normally with a set I have a "don't upset the applecart" attitude to removing the rear cover unless it really needs doing.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 11:01 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Spot on Richard.
The back stayed put on all Toshiba models other than the caps mentioned. The board numbers C303/313 remained the same for many models. The 15" virtually flat screen is especially nice.
The caps mentioned are often in red anodized cans similar in size to the old OC81 type transistors.
They have a strange internal construction the 'ooz' of which can crack alarmingly when touched with the soldering iron. If they are visually leaking, clean off any residue on the P/C board. They are located around the field output chip. John.
Old 16th Sep 2019, 12:14 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I always wondered why Toshiba used these particular capacitors and (luckily) only these two. I've always replaced them, with good quality standard 105 degree parts and never seen the sets again.
Old 16th Sep 2019, 4:54 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

They may have been early low-ESR types.
Old 17th Sep 2019, 10:39 am   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

You're probably right - they seemed special, though I never had a problem with normal relacements as low ESR was something we'd not heard of back in the day.
Often one is closer to the jungle chip, a good distance from the frame output. Luckily the fact they're that colour made then easy to spot.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 2:43 pm   #9
Richard_FM
Nonode

Today I received through the post the manual from the original owner.

He was having a clearout & found them among some old paperwork & thought I might want it.

It still has the warranty card included, with stickers baring the set & tube serial numbers.

If anyone wants me to, I can post a scan as it's just 3 double sided sheets of A4.