UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2019, 12:57 am   #1
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Tube brighteners.

Split from this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162082

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
It's been ages since I used one. In a few sets the HV rectifier punctured through the insulation, as stated before. I told the customer that it was the cheaper way to go. I carried a few of them with me. both kinds.
Dave, USradcoll 1. I quit servicing 30 years ago, except my own equipment.
I find it fascinating to learn about the differences in what passes for normal on each side of the pond.

For example watching shango066's channel on Youtube it's surprising how many "brighteners" were deployed. The concept was not unknown here, although we just called them CRT heater (filament) isolation transformers to the best of my recollection, and you could work out your full career without ever encountering one.

When they were used, it was more to do with eliminating severe hum due to heater/cathode leakage, than overrunning the heaters. I wonder if others agree with my assessment?
Old 14th Dec 2019, 1:07 am   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Tube brighteners.

Brighteners in Australia were used when the cathode had died sufficiently that the screen was quite dim. When we fitted a brightener ( that's what we called them) we advised the customer to start saving for a new tube, a regunned tube or a new TV. The "real slick" brighteners had taps that could be upped as the emission got lower and lower. We didn't have "heater cathode" shorts!!! We had a piece of figure 8 flex soldered to the heater and cathode pin of a spare tube socket. we started the set and connected one lead to chassis and the other lead was tapped a few times onto the topcap of the 6CM5 or 6DQ6 booster valve. Watching carefully we did this untill the sparkler effect stopped inside the tube. Thereafter there were no shorts. . DONT laugh!!! this was highly effective.

Joe
Old 14th Dec 2019, 8:04 am   #3
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

For example watching shango066's channel on Youtube it's surprising how many "brighteners" were deployed.
Brighteners were very popular in the USA and most TV service people had boxes of them. All of the ones I have cut open for inspection contained an autotransformer, they were never about isolating the heater, just over-running it to get higher electron emission from the failing cathode, and trying to put off the inevitable tube re-gun or replacement.Most American sets used 6.3V heater supply from the transformer.

It was possible to make a very compact "brightener" transformer for the task aided by:

1) Autotransformer design
2) High permeability core
3) 60 Hz operating frequency.

So they could just fit in a small extension base on the CRT that was roughly about the same diameter and not too long.

Possibly why these might have been less common in the UK, many of the sets were AC/DC series heater chain types, making it more awkward.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 2:40 pm   #4
lesmw0sec
Octode

Two methods here - one is the transformer to boost the heater voltage, giving a bit more emission from the cathode, the other which Joebog1 lists, is zapping the cathode surface with a high voltage in order to break up the cathode coating and (hopefully) get a bit more emission that way. I've used both methods many years ago with varying degrees of success, but the high voltage zap was of course cheaper and a lot more fun!
Old 14th Dec 2019, 2:40 pm   #5
Andrew B
Heptode

I have never seen one of the brightners, too young at 61, but when colour tubes started to fade we had a device the powered up the heaters +10% and then pulsed G1 and each of the RGB cathodes in turn. I think it applied +120V DC to G1 for a very short time, stripping off tired cathode material, seemed to work for a decent time afterwards.

Andrew
Old 14th Dec 2019, 2:52 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

There used to be adverts in Television for a device, "Cathodray", or similar from memory. It fitted inline with the tube socket. Presumably just an autotransformer.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 3:17 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Boosting or blasting the CRT on a full time use telly was a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Lawrence.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 3:31 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

A CRT heater-booster would often be enough to get another year's life out of a weak tube; remember that back in the 50s and 60s a new tube (or a new telly) would have been a significant cash-cost to your average viewer.

Wasn't a tube-booster one of Clive Sinclair's first products?

EDIT: Photo attached, from July 1961 Practical Wireless. Is this _the_ Clive Sinclair or someone else called Sinclair?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sinclair.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	195344  
Old 14th Dec 2019, 4:17 pm   #9
Reelman
Octode

When we were married in 1981 all we could afford was an old Philips B/W TV because it was free. It had a very dim picture so I used my old H&M train transformer to run the tube heaters rather bright for a few seconds and that did the trick, disconnected from the heater chain of course. I successfully repeated the procedure once more before we bought a second hand colour set. When we did I put the old Philips in the loft and to my shame left it there when we moved along with a KB and another. 32 years on I often think about going back to our old house in Coventry and asking if I could reclaim them........

I’ve certainly got one of the RS tube boost transformers with the percentage taps hidden away, it came from my father-in-law’s radio and TV shop.

Peter
Old 14th Dec 2019, 10:42 pm   #10
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I never used one myself, but I came across more than one on Finlandia colour sets. I forget which make of CRT they had, but it was a common retro fix I believe. It MAY have been because the stock heater supply was low rather than the tube itself. These were simple mains transformers with 6.3V and + 20% as I recall.
Les.

Last edited by MotorBikeLes; 14th Dec 2019 at 10:43 pm. Reason: more not morte
Old 15th Dec 2019, 12:49 pm   #11
short wave
Pentode

If memory serves me " R - S" used to do them
Old 15th Dec 2019, 5:30 pm   #12
ionburn
Heptode

Wasn't it the case that late model tubes were not very successfully boosted due to the limited cathode material?
Old 15th Dec 2019, 5:43 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes, RS used to do the heater transformers with the normal 6.3V and an additional tap that gave 6.3 +20% as a boost. These were surprisingly cheap and I found them ideal for powering small '9V' DC power-supplies, the boosted 6.3V, when bridge-rectified using silicon diodes (OA202 etc) gave about 10V on-load, great for feeding stuff that normally devoured PP9 batteries.
Old 16th Dec 2019, 2:27 pm   #14
TowerRadio
Hexode

I have a RS 4 volt CRT booster transformer,I can certainly remember my father getting a bit more life out of a Bush TV tube with one of these boosters,possibly made by Elstone. Les
Old 16th Dec 2019, 4:15 pm   #15
Nuvistor
Dekatron

A little more information on the Sinclair booster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D175E9BD-DF15-4F82-9D5D-2953BAE79FFB.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	195469  
Old 16th Dec 2019, 4:15 pm   #16
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

That unit (post #8) looks interesting, especially as it doesn't have any power supply! I suspect it's used to lift the heaters from chassis to 'cure' a H/K leak. Can't see how it could increase the heater voltage._Edit: crossed with the above post, which says it boosts the heater voltage. I wonder how?

The Thorn 3000 series TVs had an extra 20% tap on the mains transformer. I don't think this was supposed to be used for increasing the CRT's heater voltage but it did work.

Of course the transformer was the proper way to do it. More common was the extra dropper resistor (or worse) hung onto the CRT's heater pin.
Old 16th Dec 2019, 4:43 pm   #17
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I suspect that the cylindrical body-part of the Sinclair booster contained an autotransformer.
Old 17th Dec 2019, 1:01 am   #18
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Can't see how it could increase the heater voltage._Edit: crossed with the above post, which says it boosts the heater voltage. I wonder how?
I explained in post #3 that these brightener units contain autotransformers, it is no mystery how they work. You will note though they won't work for sets that are powered from DC, that scenario practically never happened in the USA where the brighteners were super popular and part of every TV serviceman's kit.

Last edited by Argus25; 17th Dec 2019 at 1:25 am. Reason: typo
Old 17th Dec 2019, 10:13 am   #19
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
A CRT heater-booster would often be enough to get another year's life out of a weak tube; remember that back in the 50s and 60s a new tube (or a new telly) would have been a significant cash-cost to your average viewer.

Wasn't a tube-booster one of Clive Sinclair's first products?

EDIT: Photo attached, from July 1961 Practical Wireless. Is this _the_ Clive Sinclair or someone else called Sinclair?
Uncle Clive would have been 21 in 1961, so it is unlikely (but not impossible) to be one of his products. Although his father had a machine tools business in London, so the booster could have been one of his products,

Craig
Old 17th Dec 2019, 12:43 pm   #20
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Uncle Clive would have been 21 in 1961, so it is unlikely (but not impossible) to be one of his products.

Craig
Not unlikely at all, the autotransformer booster at this point in history was 10 year old American technology and if he was well traveled "Uncle Clive" would have seen these on trips to America along with many other TV and Audio innovations. In those days it took about 10 years for new tech to get from the USA to the UK and about 15 to 20 years to get to the Antipodes.
Closed Thread